This page of the Far Cry 6 game guide contains the most important information about killing the Insurgency Leaders. You will learn when the Insurgency mechanic is unlocked, how it works, and what requirements you need to meet to locate and eliminate the Insurgency Leaders.
Insurgencies are a unique game mechanic that is not available at the start of the game. They're automatically unlocked after completing the main storyline. Once you have completed the main storyline, you will be able to freely explore the game world and a new tab, Insurgency, will appear in the menu window.
During the Insurgencies, each week, troops under the defeated dictator take over one of the map's sub-regions. As a result, enemy locations within those areas, such as FND bases, anti-aircraft gun camps, and outposts on main roads - are taken over by enemy forces. This will happen even if you have managed to retake these locations and establish the rebels there. You will simply need to wrest control over them again.
It's important to note that the Insurgencies are based on real time, i.e. they change each subsequent week (you can treat them similarly to weekly challenges). This means that:
- If you want to quell a given insurgency, you need to complete all objectives in time before the end of the week.
- If you have already completed a given week's insurgency, you will need to wait until the following week for the next insurgency.
- If you don't recapture the location taken over by the enemy forces, it won't return under your control at the start of the next week. By ignoring insurgencies, you will gradually lose control of the map.
The number of days until the end of the current insurgency and the start of the next one is displayed in the Insurgency menu - we've marked it on the screenshot.
Insurgency Leaders and how to defeat them
Your main objective is to identify and defeat the Insurgency Leader. You can do this by completing the task list from the bottom left corner of the screen. This includes:
- Completing the indicated Special Operation - For this, you need to return to any of the main guerrilla camps (e.g. Montero Farm), meet up with Lola and select the mission listed in the insurgencies window. As a reminder, special operations involve infiltrating unique locations to steal PG-240X containers. You can beat the special operation on any difficulty level to complete the insurgency objective.
- Capturing the designated FND Base - As in the case of "regular" bases, you need to eliminate all the enemies and we recommend doing it from stealth to avoid summoning reinforcements.
- Blowing up designated Anti-Aircraft Cannons - All you need to do is destroy the cannons, for example, by using a rocket launcher, grenade, or the Exterminador supremo.
- Securing the designated Checkpoint - This step is always the easiest - just like with "regular" outposts, it involves killing a few soldiers and destroying a billboard.
After you complete the 4 steps listed above, the identity of the insurgency's leader will be declassified and you will also learn where to find them - in one of the FND bases on the world map.
Once you have reached the indicated enemy base, simply take it over, i.e. eliminate all the enemies in the location. One of them will be the leader and you can recognize them by their extended health bar, which forces you to use better weapons to defeat this elite opponent.
Killing the insurgency leader ends your activities for the week. You have to wait until next week for the Castillo soldiers to take over another sub-region and for the search for the next leader.
Rewards for combating insurgencies
One of the main reasons why you should complete insurgencies is to regain control of enemy locations and to unlock the option to fast travel to a given region again. Additionally, you will receive numerous rewards for taking care of the preparations involved with uncovering and eliminating the leader. The most important ones are:
- Large amounts of experience points - You will obtain about 500-1000XP for each step of the preparation and you can earn up to several thousand points for killing the leader. This makes them a great way to reach higher ranks.
- Large amounts of moneda - Moneda is a special type of currency that you can spend on, among other things, unique weapons and trinkets from Lola (an NPC that deals with special operations in the main guerrilla bases).
- Unique Weapons - Each insurgency allows you to obtain some rare weapon (like the LMG La Americana pictured above).
- Spec Ops Key - These keys are only used during special operations. You can use them to open any guerrilla dead drops you find.
- Crafting Materials.