On this page o our guide to The Elder Scrolls Online we answer a very important question regarding mounts - how can I get my own horse in TESO? We provide detailed information on how to obtain or purchase a mount, how to summon a horse and how to improve your traveling skills while using a mount.
- Getting the first horse / mount - how to do it?
- Obtaining mounts - other methods
- Naming a mount - can I do it?
- Summoning a mount - how to do it?
- Mounts - why is it worth to use them?
- Riding skills - how to improve?
Getting the first horse / mount - how to do it?
The easiest way to get the first horse is to wait until the controlled character has advanced to the 10th level of experience. The Sorrel Horse is one of the rewards for advancing to level 10.
The first horse awarded by the game can be found by selecting the Collections tab from the Options menu and then choose the Mounts section. If you haven't owned any other mount yet, the Sorrel Horse will automatically be set as the default one.
Obtaining mounts - other methods
Another way to acquire a horse is to visit the stables with the intention of buying a mount. You can find stables on the outskirts of all large cities available in the game.
You must always speak to the owner of the stables and express your desire to buy a mount. Unfortunately, mounts available for sale are very expensive.
Another method involves buying a mount for Crowns in Crown Store. To do this, you must go to the Mounts tab when you open the store. The shop offers very unique mounts - they can be, among others, various varieties of domesticated monsters, camels, wolves, bears or even lions.
You have to pay with Crowns for each mount. Crown is a special currency bought with real cash. A new mount may cost from several hundred to several thousand crowns.
Mounts can also appear in Crown Crates which can be opened by spending crowns. Additionally, you can buy mounts from the Apex Rewards category by spending the Crown Gems currency.
For the record, Crown Gems are collected as compensation for duplicated items from Crown Crates.
Naming a mount - can I do it?
Each mount in the game, in addition to a name indicating its breed, type and species, can also have its own unique name. To name a mount go to the options menu, select the Collections tab and then Mounts. Press the Actions button. There will be a Rename position on the list, allowing you to enter a new name for your mount.
Summoning a mount - how to do it?
You don't have to go to the stables to get your mount, as you can summon it from anywhere in the game. The only requirement is to be in the open air - exterior area.
- While playing the PC version, Press H key.
- While playing the PS4 version, hold the Touchpad.
- While playing the XONE version, hold the Back button.
The mount will appear right away and your character can use it.
Mounts - why is it worth to use them?
The main motivation for using horses and other mounts is the ability to move around the game world more quickly. The mount is able to gallop, although this will gradually exhaust the animal's stamina bar.
When using a mount, your character is immune to stun effects. Mount can also take on some of the injuries that will decrease its stamina bar. Get off the mount before this bar runs out, or your hero will be thrown off his horse and stunned.
The hero will automatically dismount if he launches an attack or uses some active skill.
Riding skills - how to improve?
TESO allows players to pay for riding lessons provided by Riding Trainers. To do so, you must visit any stable and talk to its owner - Stablemaster. When the chat window is opened, go to the second tab. There are 3 types of lessons available:
- Speed - Each lesson increases the speed on the mount by 1%. This parameter can be maximally increased by 60 percent.
- Stamina - Each lesson increases the mount's stamina by 1 point, so the animal is able to gallop longer and take more damage. This parameter can be maximally increased by 60 percent.
- Carry Capacity - Each lesson increases the hero's inventory capacity by 1 slot. For example, after paying for the first lesson the inventory capacity will increase to 61 slots (by default there are 60 slots for items). The inventory can be increased by a maximum of 60 slots, which means that it may have as many as 120 slots for items.
You have to pay in coins for each lesson. We advise you to invest in Carry Capacity category first, as it is very easy to fill your inventory at the beginning of your journey.
Once you have completed your lesson, you have to wait at least 20 hours before you can pay for another one. It's best to make a habit and try to return to your favourite stable once a day to pay for new lessons.