On this page of the Elden Ring guide, you will learn how to defeat the boss, Ulcerated Tree Spirit, which can be found in many places in the game. The first variant of this boss can be found at the beginning of the game in Limgrave.
Ulcerated Tree Spirit in Limgrave:
You encounter the first variant of this boss at the very beginning of the game, near the Stranded Graveyard. You need two Stonesword Keys to insert them into the imp statue and unlock the dungeon.
Ulcerated Tree Spirit in Mountaintops of the Giants:
The second variant of the boss can be found in Mountaintops of the Giants - more specifically, in the Giant's Mountaintop Catacombs.
Ulcerated Tree Spirit on Mt. Gelmir:
Another version of the boss is on Mt. Gelmir , east of the Site of Grace, The Road of Inquity.
Putrid Tree Spirit in Caelid:
The last variant of the Tree Spirit, which differs in one attack from the others, is in Caelid, more specifically in the War-Dead Catacombs.
Reward for defeating
For defeating the Ulcerated Tree Spirit in Limgrave, you will receive a Golden Seed and the ashes of Banished Knight Oleg.
For defeating the Ulcerated Tree Spirit in Mountaintops of the Giants, you will receive a Golden Seed and Glovewort Picker's Bell Bearing .
For defeating the Ulcerated Tree Spirit on Mt. Gelmir you will receive a Cerulean Crystal Tear and a Leaden Hardtear.
For defeating the Putrid Tree Spirit in Caelid, you will receive a Golden Seed and Spirit ashes of Redmane Knight Ogha.
- First, do not panic! Ulcerated Tree Spirit is a boss that moves fast in all directions, making it seem his every move is an attack. That's completely wrong. What's important is to dodge the actual attacks.
- A heavy shield and high endurance are enough to avoid any damage from him. If you have trouble dodging, consider equipping a shield that will block most of the damage.
- Dodge to the left. It's much easier to dodge his attacks to the left side. Doing them to the right can also be successful, but it is much more difficult to do, especially during an attack when he catches your character with his mouth.
- While he is rolling on the ground, watch his tail and head. These are his parts that are responsible for attacking. Also, keep a distance when he starts rolling.
- However, when his moves are normal, stay close to him. Thanks to this, there is a greater chance that he will not hit you.
- When the boss jumps into the air, prepare to dodge - he will open his mouth to catch you and deal a lot of damage.
- Ulcerated Tree Spirit is weak against fire and frostbite. If you have incantations, spells, or weapons that inflict these effects, it's worth equipping them.
- Gravity Sorceries will stun him very quickly! If you have one, use them. Thanks to this, you will be able to perform a critical hit when the boss falls to the ground.
- When his health drops to 50%, he will make a powerful explosion. However, the effect of it depends on the enemy's variant. In the case of the Ulcerated variant, it will be a burst of lightning. On the other hand, the Putrid Tree Spirit will spread a scarlet rot.
How to defeat?
Before entering any boss arena, be prepared to dodge. The boss can immediately charge in your direction. The main thing to remember is not to panic and avoid unnecessary dodges.
When you are in front of the boss, he will start using his hands instead of rolling around the arena. He can make a few sweeps, but these attacks are visibly indicated and easy to avoid. When he finishes attacking, start striking.
The most dangerous move is his rolling on the floor. You have to keep a greater distance when he does it. Watch out mainly for the tail and head. His first roll is not dangerous if you are away from it. On the other hand, the second one usually has a longer range.
In the second phase of the fight watch out for the burst. When the boss's health drops to 50%, he will start creating lightning bolts (or rot, if it's the Putrid variant of the boss). Move away from him immediately, and it's best to keep your distance when you notice his HP is close to half. The explosion deals a lot of damage and knocks you down. The boss will then take the initiative and attack when you start to get up, and it's very easy to make a mistake.
From time to time, this boss will use this attack in the second phase of the fight. This is not a one-time move, so keep that in mind.