Deep Rock Galactic is an unusual first-person shooter developed by Danish studio Ghost Ship Games. We play as dwarf astronauts working for the eponymous corporation and extract various valuable resources from planets. We also have to deal with various problems and alien attacks that can be encountered in the vast underground cave systems. In Deep Rock Galactic, the player can choose from 1 out of 4 classes that specialize in rock drilling (Driller), terrain reconnaissance (Navigator), team support (Engineer), and combat (Gunner). The game can be played solo or in a 4-player team. The goal of the game is to complete a specific mission, such as collecting a certain amount of raw materials and evacuating from an underground cave system. It is also worth noting the fact that the underground caves in Deep Rock Galactic can be almost completely destroyed thanks to the destructible environment system implemented in the game.
Quick starting tips
Before you start your adventure in Deep Rock Galactic, you can check out the main tips that will increase your chances of survival in extremely unfavorable conditions in different parts of the galaxy, such as Hoxxes IV. These tips are primarily for new players.
- Use flares - flares are the primary light source in Deep Rock Galactic. Use them when exploring dark caves. Flares renew over time - you can use them whenever they are available;
- Bosco drone - when playing solo, the player has access to a special drone named Bosco, which can not only mine ore, but also provide light, resurrect your hero, and fight aliens;
- Backpack capacity - the backpack capacity of each dwarf is limited so you will often have to use the help of the M.U.L.E. robot to deposit extracted materials;
- Save ammo - each mission in Deep Rock Galactic starts with a specific supply of ammo, which can then be replenished with stock. However, first you will need to collect a certain amount of a resource called Nitra. Each resupply call costs 80 Nitra and has 4 charges that replenish 50% of the hero's health and 50% of the ammunition supply;
- Restoring health - in Deep Rock Galactic, you can restore your health in three ways. The first is to collect Red Sugar resource. The second way is to call the previously mentioned supply drop, and the last way involves the Vampire perk;
- Fall damage - Deep Rock Galactic has fall damage. Be careful when exploring caves, you don't want to kill your dwarf by accident;
- Watch out for Grabbers - when exploring caves, pay special attention to opponents named Grabbers. As the name suggests, they'll try to catch your hero and throw him into the abyss;
- Evacuation - after completing the mission requirements, the player can call an evacuation capsule. An escape pod can appear approximately 40 to even 150m from where the player has started the evacuation process. Evacuation is essential for successfully completing a mission - if you don't make it in time, all your efforts will be in vain. Driller class is great if you haven't planned your descent properly and haven't taken care of your escape route - this class can quickly drill a tunnel to the escape point;
- Alien eggs - search missions, as opposed to mining missions, are based on finding alien eggs. You can extract them from places where walls are covered with strange red organic matter. Be careful, though, because when you start digging in a place like this, you can alert a swarm of aliens.;
- Friendly-fire - Deep Rock Galactic has friendly-fire which means that you can injure your allies. This is especially important when repelling swarm attacks in a small space.
FAQ - questions and answers
This page answers basic questions about Deep Rock Galactic like the game's availability on Steam, cross-platform option, or its system requirements. It is a small compendium of knowledge about the content and changes made to the game.
Is Deep Rock Galactic available on STEAM?
Yes, Deep Rock Galactic can be bought on Valve's platform in the so-called Early Access and played even before the official release of the game.
NOTE! By purchasing the STEAM version, you will only be able to play with other players who have purchased Deep Rock Galactic on Valve's platform. You won't be able to play with owners of Windows 10/Xbox One version.
Does Deep Rock Galactic have split-screen?
Unfortunately, Deep Rock Galactic doesn't support split-screen. Each player wishing to participate in the game must have their own copy.
Is the Microsoft Store version of Deep Rock Galactic playable on Xbox One and Windows 10?
Yes! By purchasing Deep Rock Galactic in the Microsoft Store, you get the Xbox Play Anywhere version, which means that you own both Windows 10 and Xbox One versions. Progress in the game is recorded for both platforms.
Does Deep Rock Galactic support cross-platform?
Deep Rock Galactic allows owners of Xbox One and Windows 10 versions (purchased from the Microsoft Store) to play together.
NOTE! If you buy Deep Rock Galactic in the Microsoft Store, you won't be able to play with players who have purchased the STEAM version. This also means that the STEAM version of Deep Rock Galactic doesn't support cross-platform.
Which engine does Deep Rock Galactic use?
Deep Rock Galactic uses the popular and extremely powerful Unreal Engine 4, which was produced by Epic Games.
Does Deep Rock Galactic have a solo mode?
Deep Rock Galactic offers a solo mode. It should also be noted here that Bosco accompanies all those who play solo - this special drone is adapted both for mineral extraction and combat.
Deep Rock Galactic system requirements
Below are the official minimum and recommended Deep Rock Galactic system requirements for PC. The game runs on Unreal Engine 4, which means weaker PCs may have trouble generating the best quality graphics with realistic lighting and shadows. Despite of that, playing Deep Rock Galactic on hardware that meets minimum system requirements can still give you tons of fun.
Deep Rock Galactic minimum system requirements
- Operating system - Windows 7 64-bit
- Processor - Dual Core 2.4 GHz;
- RAM - 6 GB;
- Graphics card - 1 GB GeForce GTX 460 / Radeon HD 5770 or better;
- Disk space - 10 GB.
Deep Rock Galactic recommended system requirements
- Operating system - Windows 10 64-bit;
- Processor - Quad Core 2.4 GHz;
- RAM - 8 GB;
- Graphics card - 4 GB GeForce GTX 970 / Radeon R9 290 or better;
- Disk space - 10 GB.
About Deep Rock Galactic Guide
Author : Lukasz "Qwert" Telesinski for gamepressure.com
Translator : Mateusz "Ictius" Sawka
last update : May 12, 2020
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
Deep Rock Galactic Video Game
- genre: Action
- developer: Ghost Ship Games
- publisher: Coffee Stain Studios
- platform: PC, XONE
Deep Rock Galactic is a unique first-person shooter developed by the Danish studio Ghost Ship Games. We play as dwarven astronauts who work on mining the resources in caverns that even the bravest of the bravest would not even think of entering.
Deep Rock Galactic for PC and XONE is an unusual cooperative FPS and the first game developed by the Danish studio Ghost Ship Games.
Story in Deep Rock Galactic for PC and XONE is not that complex. We play as dwarven astronauts who specialize in mining resources in the most dangerous caverns that even the bravest of the bravest avoid and were hired by the titular corporation.
Deep Rock Galactic for PC and XONE focuses on four-player coop. There are four classes available in the game: Driller, Navigator, Enginieer, and Gunner. A team made of four dwarves, either controlled by players or A.I., explored the procedurally generated levels in search of natural resources and minerals. Mining and exploration is based on the game’s advanced destruction system visibly inspired by Minecraft. Cooperation between the players, in both combat and exploration, is the key to success.
Deep Rock Galactic for PC and XONE uses Unreal Engine 4, giving its visuals high and modern quality. The game has an original artstyle based on polygons.