On this page of our game guide to Control you can find key information about the first DLC expansion set titled The Foundation. You will find out what major novelties have been introduced in the first DLC expansion set to Control and how to unlock access to The Foundation add-on.
- The Foundation DLC: how to buy?
- The Foundation DLC: how to unlock?
- The Foundation DLC: key new features
The Foundation DLC: how to buy?
The Foundation is the title of the first DLC, that is, the first expansion set for Control. You can access this expansion set in three main ways:
- Purchase the Control Ultimate Edition. This complete package contains the main game and all previously released expansions, that is, DLC add-ons. If you buy this version of the game, then The Foundation will be installed immediately. You don't have to buy it or install it separately.
- Buy The Foundation DLC. It's the first expansion set. It's worth buying the DLC if you have the main version of the game. Especially, if you want to complete additional content.
- Purchase a Seasonal Pass. It contains two expansion sets - The Foundation DLC and AWE DLC. It's worth buying the Seasonal Pass, if you have the main version of the game. Especially, if you want to complete additional content.
Once you get access to the DLC, don't forget to make sure that it has been correctly added to your account. In case of the PS4 version, you have to collect a free item in the PS4 Store called Control: Expansion Pack 1 - The Foundation. The Foundation DLC will be automatically installed along with one of the game updates.
The Foundation DLC: how to unlock?
Once you have started the game, after buying or accessing The Foundation DLC, a new side quest related to the DLC should be available in Jesse's journal. The side task will have the exact same title as the expansion set - The Foundation.
If you have not received this quest, then it may be a sign that you have not advanced enough in the game. Don't play the DLC if you haven't unlocked the Levitate ability yet, which can be acquired during My brother's keeper main mission. The stronger Jesse gets, the more easily she can defeat the powerful opponents of the DLC. A full description of The Foundation DLC and a detailed walkthrough can be found in a separate chapter of our game guide.
The Foundation DLC: key new features
In the DLC you can visit an entirely new location - The Foundation sector. It is a vast complex of caves. However, there are some locations in the sector that resemble typical office spaces and the astral plane areas.
The exploration of The Foundation sector is largely based on the games that belong to the metroidvania genre. Initially, Jesse is unable to reach many locations and treasures because she must first unlock all relevant powers. We have discussed this in more detail in one of the following subsections.
The add-on largely focuses on the history of the Oldest House, that is, a mysterious location which gets transformed in many ways and where the action of the entire game takes place.
As you play-through the DLC, you can find out more about Broderick Northmoor, who was the first Director of the Federal Bureau of Control. The story of DLC also features the character of Helen Marshall, the missing Head of Operations. As in the case of the main game, most information about the game world and past events can be obtained by acquiring various documents and voice recordings.
In The Foundation DLC Jesse can gain two new powers, which are associated with exploration of The Foundation level in a similar way to metroidvania games. Only after obtaining a specific power Jesse will be able to unlock some new passages or acquire some additional treasures. Unfortunately, this involves a lot of backtracking. However, the exploration of The Foundation sector can be postponed. The best option is to explore the new area once both powers have been acquired.
The first new power is Shape. It allows you to extend small ledges from the walls. Jesse can fly towards them and use them as platforms to reach higher locations, that were previously inaccessible. The heroine can also use her new ability to pull out traps mounted in walls or on the ground. This can be helpful in eliminating enemies.
The second new power is Fracture. It is an upgrade of the character's service weapon that allows you to destroy black crystals scattered around the game world. This primarily allows you to unlock blocked passages. However, by destroying black crystals you can also discover loot chests or eliminate enemies that stand on black crystals.
In the final part of the first story mission of The Foundation DLC you will have to make a choice and select one of the two powers described above. The choice of the ability is not final and permanent. You'll get the second power during The Nail story mission. The choice of power simply determines which parts of new locations (associated with the story of the expansion) you will explore first.
You will encounter a new type of enemies in The Foundation DLC - Hiss Sharpened. They are able to move very quickly, which can make them difficult to track and eliminate.
Also, expect to come across many elite opponents in The Foundation DLC, than in the main campaign of the game.
In The Foundation DLC you will also encounter special posts which allow you to summon friendly rangers. After you use a particular post, a soldier will appear. The new companion will automatically follow Jesse. The ranger will accompany you until he dies (his health bar is visible above his head), or until you use the fast travel option or enter a special location that cannot be visited by your companion. Unfortunately, you can't give any orders to Rangers, but they are nonetheless helpful in distracting enemies that attack Jesse.
There's quite a lot of optional content in The Foundation DLC. Additional attractions of the DLC add-on include:
- Collectibles - you can find, among other things, new documents and recordings. They allow you to deepen your knowledge of the game world.
- The maneki-neko figurines - are a unique variation of the secrets, that is, collectibles, in this DLC.
- Hidden Locations - as in the main game, discovering each secret location is rewarded with 1 development point.
- Side missions - you can get many rewards for completing them such as skill points.
- New trophies - you can unlock 10 new trophies - 3 silver and 7 bronze ones. It is worth noting that trophies of the DLC are not needed to unlock the platinum trophy on PS4.