This game guide to Call of Duty Warzone contains useful information about the latest Battle Royale expansion to Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Warzone will offer gamers a giant map where 150 players (divided into teams of three people) can play at the same time. Despite the huge battlefield offered by the game, the gameplay is extremely dynamic and doesn't allow any player to have even a bit of freedom.
While moving around the map, the player will have an opportunity to visit locations known from previous installments of Call of Duty series. Warzone introduces many innovative solutions to Battle Royale gameplay. Interestingly, Call of Duty Warzone supports cross-platform, that is, it allows users of different devices to play together (PC, PS4, Xbox One).
Our guide contains basic tips for gameplay mechanics like damage system, shooting mechanics, or moving around the map. The starting tips section has information that will help you gain an advantage over your enemies right from the beginning of a match. You will learn, among other things, what you should avoid doing in the game or things that you should pay attention to while collecting loot. The guide also has information on the best weapons, best landing spots, or tips on how to level up fast. You will also learn about the best loadouts in CoD Warzone. The appendix has system requirements and the controls list.
- Quick starting tips
- Basics of using weapons and shooting techniques in CoD Warzone
- Landing in CoD Warzone
- Innovative mechanics in CoD Warzone
- Initial part of the gameplay - Gulag
- Buying items
- FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
- System requirements of CoD Warzone
Quick starting tips
Before you start participating in Battle Royale matches in Call of Duty Warzone, it is worth learning the basic tips that can increase your chances of survival. The tips are primarily for new players.
- Change the mini-map from round to square - this way you will increase your viewing range and get a better picture of the battlefield.
- Set your custom loadout - Call of Duty Warzone has the option to create custom loadouts, which can later be purchased during a match.
- Don't stay in the gas zone - when the gas ring gets smaller, move to the safe area as fast as you can. If you stay in the gas zone, you will die.
- Don't run in the open area - this makes you an extremely easy target.
- Don't shoot until you aim - if you miss, your character will be marked with a red dot on the map. You will reveal your position.
- Use the ping system - communicate with the team using a special ping system. This way you can mark the equipment lying on the map, the place where you want to go, or even the enemy. Effective communication is the key to success.
- Pick up downed allies - Call of Duty Warzone has the mechanic in which you can pick up downed opponents before they are killed. However, before you do this, make sure that you are safe.
- Fighting in the Gulag - when your character dies for the first time, you end up in the Gulag. If you win a 1-on-1 match with another player, you will return to the map. Otherwise, you will have to wait for the team to pay for your return. You can get into the Gulag only once during a given match.
- Purchases - use the collected money to buy the necessary equipment (loadouts), as well as additional armor plates, reconnaissance drones, and self-reanimation kits.
- A grenade can explode in your hand- yes, a grenade can kill you if you don't release it at the right moment.
- Fall damage - falling from a great height can seriously affect your character's health. Falling from an extreme height can even lead to your death.
- Use vehicles - vehicles in Call of Duty Warzone are a very good way to move around the map. Not only are they fast, but they also provide extra protection. You can also use them to drive over opponents and thus exclude them from the game.
Basics of using weapons and shooting techniques in CoD Warzone
In Call of Duty Warzone, players can use a whole bunch of weapons and other tactical equipment. Available weapons include assault rifles, light machine guns, sniper rifles, SMG, shotguns, and regular pistols. Each of these weapons behaves differently, and it is worth spending some time learning how to use them. You can use several useful tricks that can affect your results.
How to aim well in CoD Warzone?
The most effective way to quickly eliminate enemies in Call of Duty Warzone is to get headshots - they deal maximum damage in the shortest time. It should be noted here that CoD Warzone players have body armor, but the heads aren't protected in any way. This is especially true when using weapons that can instantly destroy a target, such as HDR. For other weapons, you may need up to two or more accurate shots. However, it is worth developing the habit of keeping the crosshair at the height where the enemy's head should be - this will maximize your chances of killing a target.
- A player who spends all the time aiming at the height of the enemy's head has a much better chance of effectively eliminating the target.
- When you lean out from behind a wall or other obstacle (see weapon support technique), try to set the scope where the enemy's head may appear.
- By positioning the sight at the level of the enemy's head, you will minimize the time spent on adjusting its position when the target comes into view.
- If you are fighting a target that is constantly moving, don't shoot blindly. Try to anticipate their next step and then shoot. Keep in mind that any missed shot can give away your position on the map.
How to adjust the recoil in Call of Duty Warzone?
Each weapon available in Call of Duty Warzone has a recoil, which makes holding the sight in the right place when firing long bursts a little troublesome. This requires the player to keep adjusting the weapon's position by pulling it down. With the help of special modifications, you can make your life a little easier and stabilize the weapon. However, a good knowledge of your favorite weapons is even more important.
How to support weapons in Warzone?
An interesting mechanic available in Call of Duty Warzone is the ability to support the weapon, which significantly increases its stability when shooting. With one simple trick, you will significantly increase your efficiency on the battlefield.
Using this technique, you can also shoot from around a corner without exposing yourself too much to the enemy's attack. To support weapons in Call of Duty Warzone, approach an environmental obstacle and press the appropriate key combination - the default combination on PC is the aiming key + melee. Of course, you can change this setting in the game menu and perform the entire action with a single key. The weapon support technique requires a little practice and getting used to it - you can practice it on a training map.
Shooting technique - one-tap
One-tap is a technique that requires a lot of focus and skill, because the movement of the sight must be well thought out and every shot must hit the target. When using this technique, you should remember to shoot one round at a time, then stop the attack to reset the recoil. During a break, you can use the strafing technique (sideways movement) to move to the side and shoot again. Here it should be noted that one-tap is effective only when you are standing still while making a shot. The advantages of the one-tap technique include:
- Very low ammo consumption.
- Ability to stay on the move.
- Complete negation of the recoil.
- Maximum control over the sight/scope.
Shooting technique - short bursts
Shooting in short bursts is the most popular of all techniques - you shoot multiple bullets, carefully adjusting the sight, usually by lowering it down gently. This technique can be used with almost any weapon and works best at medium and close range. Advantages of this technique:
- Average ammo consumption.
- Great mobility.
- Good accuracy.
Shooting technique - spraying
Spraying is the most difficult technique to master because it requires the player to learn the mechanics of a weapon in order to effectively counter its recoil. You need to fire continuously while adjusting the position of the sight. Spraying is usually used only at close range, where the probability of hitting the target is much higher. The biggest advantages of this technique are:
- The ability to quickly destroy multiple targets at once when they are next to each other.
- If you know that the enemy is hiding on the other side of the smokescreen, you can try to kill them with a long series.
Landing in CoD Warzone
Each Battle Royale game begins with a drop during which players have to land somewhere on the map. Players are dropped out from various types of transport - helicopters, planes or completely futuristic vehicles, such as a flying bus. Call of Duty Warzone focuses on the classics so that all players jump out of the plane. Read this chapter to learn how and where to land in Verdansk.
How to land in Call of Duty Warzone?
Landing in Verdansk, the map featured in Call of Duty Warzone, isn't the easiest. After jumping out of the plane, you need to skillfully maneuver in the air and open the parachute at the right time.
If you open the parachute too early, as in the image above, it will take centuries before you reach the landing spot. Enemies will have time to collect all the equipment and probably kill you before you land. The key to success is to use the parachute skillfully: free gliding in the right direction and opening the parachute to gain momentum for further gliding. Keep in mind that the fastest way is to fall down vertically, so the fastest way to land is to jump right over the landing spot.
Where to land in Call of Duty Warzone?
The Battle Royale mode in Call of Duty Warzone takes place on an incredibly large map of Verdansk. In this vast territory, you will find many interesting places, such as a military base, airport, prison, or dam. However, how do you know where to land in order to find any equipment? We have listed the best landing spots in Call of Duty Warzone.
1. Arklov Peak Military Base - This military base is, without a doubt, one of the most popular landing spots in Verdansk. You will find a whole bunch of weapons and vehicles here, but you will have to deal with the competition.
2. Verdansk International Airport - Verdansk airport is another good landing spot. Look for the necessary equipment in the main building, as well as in other areas near the airport.
3. Verdansk Stadium - The stadium in Verdansk is one of the best landing spots in CoD Warzone. A lot of equipment boxes are scattered around the massive building. The dome of the stadium is also a very good sniper position. To get there, use a helicopter.
4. Zordaya Prison Complex - At first glance, the Zordaya prison may resemble a castle because of the many towers located around a huge building. Choose one of the towers as your landing spot - you will get weapons and be able to eliminate enemies. Inside the prison, you will find a helicopter and other vehicles.
5. Verdansk Train Station - The train station is among the top best landing spots in Call of Duty Warzone. Verdansk Train Station is a vast area where you will find a lot of good equipment.
6. Atlas Superstore - The supermarket is filled to the brim with the necessary equipment. Once you land there, you will be able to prepare yourself for further exploration of Verdansk.
7. Dam - This place is a little off to the side, but it is still a great landing zone. You will find many buildings and a lot of equipment there. You can also get a few contracts and use various vehicles to explore the map.
Innovative mechanics in CoD Warzone
Call of Duty Warzone brings some innovations to the Battle Royale mode. Among the available options, players have a chance to return to a match after their first death (fights in the Gulag). Another new feature is the ability to sign contracts that allow you to perform a specific task and thus gain a lot of experience and much-needed money. The latest novelty in Call of Duty Warzone is the ability to purchase additional tactical equipment and specially prepared loadouts, which significantly increase the chances of winning.
Initial part of the gameplay - Gulag
After the first elimination, you will get imprisoned in a Gulag cell. From here you will watch the struggle of other players and wait for your turn to get back to Warzone. When it's your turn, you will have to confront a random player in a 1vs1 duel. The winner of the duel wins the most valuable prize - he will be directly transferred to the map. The defeated player can only hope that his team will collect enough cash to bring him back to the game.
Players can perform special side quests in Call of Duty Warzone, known as contracts. The team can only activate one contract at a time, and the completion of the task is rewarded with a decent amount of cash and additional items. The following types of contracts are available in Call of Duty Warzone: Assassination (eliminate target), Recon (secure target) and Scavenger (reach a specific chest and loot it).
Interestingly, Call of Duty Warzone allows players to purchase items in specially designated places (buy stations). In such a store, you can spend the money collected earlier and buy powerful items - a self-regeneration set, additional armor plates, or even buy a special option to revive a fallen ally.
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
We answer basic questions about Call of Duty Warzone, for example, whether Call of Duty Warzone is free to play, whether there is a cross-platform feature and whether you can get any benefits if you already have Modern Warfare. This is a small compendium of knowledge about the content and changes implemented in the game.
When does Call of Duty Warzone launch?
Call of Duty Warzone will launch on March 10. Owners of Call of Duty Modern Warfare will be able to start playing in the new Battle Royale mode from 8AM PDT. Other players will have to wait until 12PM PDT.
Where can I download Call of Duty Warzone?
Owners of Call of Duty Modern Warfare will receive a brief in-game information that they can download additional content and install it. After the installation is complete, the Warzone tab will appear in the game. Those who do not own Modern Warfare will be able to search for Call of Duty Warzone in the proper store. For example, on a PC you need to check the Battlenet store, while on PS4 - the PlayStation Store.
Is Call of Duty Warzone a free game?
Yes, Call of Duty Warzone is free for all players, regardless of the platform they play on. It is important to note that a PlayStation Plus or Xbox Pass subscription is not required to play.
Is Call of Duty Warzone available in GeForce NOW?
Unfortunately, Call of Duty Warzone isn't available in GeForce NOW, and it is not known when or if it will be available at all. There is no official information about this yet.
Does Call of Duty Warzone have a single-player mode?
No, there is no single-player mode in Call of Duty Warzone. The gameplay is focused on the Battle Royale mode, in which up to 150 players can participate simultaneously. If you want to play in single-player mode, you must purchase the basic version of Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
Is there a Duos mode in Call of Duty Warzone?
Currently, Call of Duty Warzone offers two gameplay modes - Team (up to 3 players) and solos - a traditional Battle Royale mode in which each player plays alone. However, Duos mode has been announced and should be available soon.
Are there zombies in Call of Duty Warzone?
No, there are no zombies in CoD Warzone. All players participating in the Battle Royale mode are real players who control human characters - operators.
Why does Call of Duty Warzone take up so much disk space?
Call of Duty Warzone takes over 100GB of HDD space so unfortunately there's a lot of data to download. Having the basic version of Modern Warfare helps - you'll have much less data to download in that case. But why does Call of Duty Warzone takes up so much space? Warzone shares a lot of content with Modern Warfare - progress from MW, unlocked operators, weapons and all other player achievements or progress. Both Modern Warfare and the new Battle Royale mode must have all needed files.
Is Call of Duty Warzone available on Steam?
At the time of writing of this guide, Call of Duty Warzone is not available on Steam. However, this does not mean that Warzone won't appear on the Valve platform in the future.
Is there a crossplay feature in Call of Duty Warzone?
Yes, the Battle Royale Call of Duty Warzone has a cross-platform feature. This means that you can play with your friends even if they have a different platform - PS, PS4, Xbox One.
Can I play CoD Warzone on PS3 or Xbox 360?
Unfortunately, Call of Duty Warzone is not available for previous-generation consoles, so it can't be played on the PS3 or Xbox 360.
If I already have Call of Duty Modern Warfare, will it give me any advantage?
Call of Duty Modern Warfare owners will be able to enter Battle Royale Warzone mode with all the weapons and characters they previously collected or unlocked. In addition, there are no additional bonuses that would significantly give the player an advantage over other players.
Are there any vehicles in Call of Duty Warzone?
Yes, in CoD Warzone, players have access to a variety of vehicles - SUVs, ATVs (tactical vehicles), armored vehicles, cargo trucks, and even helicopters. Each type of transport has certain statistics in terms of speed and durability.
Do the vehicles in Call of Duty Warzone have mounted weapons?
No, none of the vehicles available in Warzone is equipped with weapons. However, you can use your own weapons and fire at your opponents if you are sitting in the passenger seat.
How long does one match in CoD Warzone last?
On average, one battle in Call of Duty Warzone lasts from 20 to 25 minutes. This depends on many factors, such as the location of players on the map or the elimination speed of subsequent targets.
How many players are on the map in Call of Duty Warzone?
CoD Warzone allows up to 150 players to play simultaneously on the same map. This is a lot, but you should remember about the enormous and vast size of the map available in Warzone.
System requirements of CoD Warzone
Below are the official minimum system requirements for Call of Duty Warzone on PC. It is worth noting that the performance depends largely on the selected graphics settings, so each player must configure them accordingly to their hardware. If you don't own a powerful PC and don't know how to configure the graphics settings in Call of Duty Warzone, you can follow our recommendations. In a few simple steps, you can maximize the amount of FPS and make the gameplay smoother.
- Operating system - Windows 7 64-bit (SP1) or Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor - Intel Core i3-4340 or AMD FX-6300
- Memory - 8 GB of RAM
- Video card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 or AMD Radeon HD 7950
- DirectX - 12.0
- HDD/SDD space - 110 GB
Find out more about recommended system requirements, optimal PC settings and solutions to most common problems (e.g. with DirectX) in separate section of our guide: System requirements.
About Warzone Guide
Author : Lukasz "Qwert" Telesinski for gamepressure.com
Translator : Filip "Mithgandir" Liebert
last update : March 16, 2020
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
Call of Duty: Warzone Video Game
- genre: Action
- developer: Infinity Ward
- publisher: Activision Blizzard
- platform: PC, PS4, XONE
Call of Duty Warzone is a free royal battle shooter based on Call of Duty Modern Warfare. The game offers a huge map, two game modes and a number of interesting gameplay mechanics. It was developed by experienced developers from Infinity Ward studio (authors of many other Call of Duty games). The publisher is Activision.
Call of Duty Warzone takes place in the world known from Modern Warfare - more specifically in the city of Verdansk.
Call of Duty Warzone is a classic shooter, in which the action is observed from the first person perspective ( FPS).We play the role of a soldiers and the action takes place on a vast location, where you can find many interesting places known from previous parts of the series. We'll find a dam or a sawmill here. It is worth noting that all buildings are hand-designed, making each one unique.
Up to 150 people can take part in a single game simultaneously. Players are dropped on the map with a parachute (the drop point can be selected) and then try to achieve their goals depending on the chosen game mode. Equipment plays an important role - both weapons and vehicles (e.g. different kinds of cars and even helicopters) - which allow you to gain an advantage over your rivals. We can find or buy equipment in special places.
During the game, players can also achieve additional goals - the contracts that have different requirements (e.g. to find packages or do reconnaissance at a specific location). By completing the task, we gain additional equipment or money for which we can buy it.
In Call of Duty Warzone, we can only play with other players. The gameplay is based on network multiplayer mode.
We have two game modes at our disposal: Battle Royale and Plunder. The first game mode focuses on eliminating other players on an increasingly shrinking map (this is due to the use of lethal combat gas). We compete in three-person teams. The game ends when someone manages to eliminate all enemies. Members of one team can resurrect their comrades by spending money. After the first death we also have to deal with quite unique mechanics - we get to the gulag, in which we fight in a 1-on-1 duel for the possibility to return to the main part of the game.
In the second module our goal is to collect money scattered around the location and offered for contracts. We can also eliminate other players to take away their cash.
Call of Duty Warzone has a nice, three-dimensional graphic design. The graphics are quite realistic and well reflect the characteristics of contemporary armed conflicts. We have here believable looking and animated characters, as well as places that could exist in the real world.
Call of Duty Warzone is a free-to-play title - the developers earn money through an optional micropayment system.
It is worth noting that Warzone progression system is coupled with Call of Duty Modern Warfare - if we have this production, we can use the prizes won in both games (in Multiplayer mode and Spec Ops in MW). The game also supports cross-play function - owners of different platforms can play together.
More About Call of Duty: Warzone
Yes, we love games. But there are times when the only sensible reaction seems... throwing the keyboard out the window. Some of the mechanics have been under the players' skin, and today, we're exposing them all.