On this page of our Biomutant game guide you will learn how the Automaton pet works. Additionally, we discuss whether your pet can die, if unlocking the Automaton is optional, and how it can be of help to you.
In this game, the Automaton, a mechanical grasshopper, fills the role of a pet. It has accompanied the main character since childhood. For this reason, the Automaton appears throughout the main part of the game and it also appears in additional childhood scenes.
The Automaton functions completely independently of the actions of the main character you control. You don't have to worry about it. Your pet can't die and it won't ever go missing, either.
The Automaton has its own separate tab in the inventory menu. The pet can serve a variety of functions:
- Flashlight - This feature is the only one available from the very beginning of the game. Pet automatically switches on when you enter a dark location to light it up.
- Health Injector - You will need to unlock this and other features (see at the page bottom for more information). You can order healing from the automaton page in the Consumables menu - top direction button.
- Glider - With your pet, you can glide. Activate it by holding down the jump button in midair. This can be helpful for those places where you want to accurately land on some lower ledges.
- Turret - Automaton can automatically join fights and use its mini-turret to help attack enemies.
- Boost - You can activate a boost in the consumables window and receive a temporary damage bonus. This is useful if, for example, you are facing a boss fight. The game unfortunately requires you to wait for the automaton's ability to regenerate after using the Boost.
The game allows you to change your pet's appearance, although you will have to unlock these new visual Automaton variants first. During the initial phase of the campaign, only its default appearance is available.
After you progress sufficiently in the game, there will be an opportunity to unlock memories from the past - the first such encounter will be the quest Flashbacked, which will begin with the illusion of meeting a childhood friend. Upon the start of the flashback, you will need to complete an optional battle.
By completing scenes from the past, you can unlock new automaton features - the game will always let you choose one new skill.
The choice of the new Automaton feature should depend on your personal preferences. We recommend you consider Boost (manually activated temporary damage bonus) or Turret (free and automatic pet support).