On this page of our guide to XCOM Chimera Squad we have prepared the most important information about androids. You will find out when androids can join the battle, how to make new models of androids, and whether it is possible to improve your android.
- How to unlock and how to buy androids?
- How to take an android on a mission?
- How to use an android?
- Repairing androids
- Android equipment
- How to upgrade androids?
- Hostile androids
How to unlock and how to buy androids?
It's hard to miss the moment when the androids get unlocked. Once you have completed the mission of the prologue and you have reached the city screen for the first time, go to the Assembly tab, that is, the one where research projects can be commissioned.
The first project that can be executed and carried out is the Android Personnel and its main objective consists in unlocking androids. To run and complete the research project you have to pay 10 elerium and wait 2 days. However, you can shorten project's duration to 1 day if you deploy 1 agent to help with the ongoing research.
After completing the Android Personnel project you will receive the first android for free - it will be located in the Armory together with the agents.
You can buy more androids by checking the Supply tab - unfortunately, each of them costs 150 credits. You should decide to buy an android if:
- The previous android was destroyed by enemies. Unlike agents, androids cannot be saved from "death".
- You want to have more than one android available. Unless you're playing at one of the higher difficulty levels, during most missions of the campaign it's worth to have just one android.
How to take an android on a mission?
Androids, unlike agents, do not have to be manually selected for each subsequent mission. They automatically accompany agents in all tasks and appear on the mission preparation screen.
How to use an android?
You can't control android from the very beginning of the mission. So don't be surprised if the machine doesn't appear on the Breach phase screen, that is, the selection of mission's entrance area.
Android can join the combat only if you lose an agent during the mission, that is, if a situation occurs in which the agent starts Bleeding Out (has this particular status). Saving an agent from death does not mean that he will immediately return to full health and strength. The agent will remain unconscious until the end of the mission. Also, he will not be able to take part in further encounters.
If you have lost an agent and there are still more battles awaiting you in a particular mission, then the game will display a special call reinforcements window - an android. The robot will be able to replace a lost teammate. Android will take part in the battle until the end of the mission.
Androids, unlike agents, do not automatically recover all health points after completing a mission. After completing the task, a specific android may remain damaged. Then you have two options:
- You can pay with credits to repair an android - this can be done by using the Armory.
- Or you can wait a few days for the Android health bar (durability) to automatically return to its maximum level.
Androids have 4 equipment slots. Two of these are mandatory slots - for weapons and for armor. The other two slots are optional - android can be equipped with a Breach Item or utility item (like a grenade, a special type of ammunition etc.).
How to upgrade androids?
The most important information is that androids cannot gain experience and advance to higher levels. However, this does not mean that their combat capabilities cannot be increased and this is mainly done by installing upgrades.
Android upgrades are not available from the very beginning. You must execute research projects associated with android upgrades in the Assembly tab. The first such project of this type is called Modular Androids. More projects from the same group will appear on the list during the campaign.
Once the technology has been developed, you can view and possibly buy newly unlocked upgrades. They will appear in the Supply tab on the city menu.
Upgrades can be installed after you select an android in the armory and open the Upgrades tab. Android improvements and upgrades have been divided into four groups:
- Vision - they can improve accuracy
- Processor - they can increase the chances and rate of critical strike
- Chassis - these can add health points and / or armor
- Motor - they can improve the performance of dodges
There can only be one upgrade in each slot activated. Initially, when buying new upgrades, avoid spending credits on several upgrades of the same category, as you will only be able to use one of them.
Interesting fact: Even if your android gets destroyed, the upgrades it had installed are not lost. You'll be able to install them in the next android model you produce.
You may encounter hostile androids during missions associated with the Sacred Moil faction. They can be very challenging, especially since they have good armor. We advise you to remember about two things:
- Hostile androids like to activate the ability to self-destruct. Try to destroy them before they approach any of your agents and detonate themselves. Androids can also be stopped by using Shock Grenades.
- If you have a Patchwork agent among your team members, you can hack enemy androids by using the Reprogram skill. Interestingly, after you hack an android, you can also activate the auto-destruct and then move the machine to one of your opponents.