This page of the guide to XCOM Chimera Squad has information on the campaign's structure. You will learn about the most important campaign milestones as well as the final missions.
Our guide doesn't have a traditional walkthrough - the missions and the locations are randomized. You also have quite a freedom in investigating the hostile factions. The course of the battles can be affected by the agents you have on your team. But don't worry - this and the other pages of the guide contain numerous tips and advice that should help you win.
- Main part of the campaign - three hostile factions
- Final mission 1 - Protect City Hall
- Final mission 2 - Take Down Atlas
The campaign in XCOM: Chimera Squad opens with a mission during which you have to rescue mayor Nightingale. Treat this assignment as a prologue and a tutorial that will teach you the basic combat mechanics.
- The prologue consists of three encounters, and each one of them puts you up against a small group of enemies.
- You control three characters in the first battle. The fourth character will join you in the second encounter.
- In the third encounter, you face new terrorists and have to protect the mayor. Also, one of the squad members will get knocked down and start bleeding - don't worry, this is a part of the tutorial that will teach you how to aid fallen members.
- The first mission ends after the conversation with mayor Nightingale. You will also watch an important cut-scene.
After the first mission, you move to the Chimera Squad command center. This is also part of the tutorial - the majority of the options on the city map will be unavailable. The game will unlock them gradually to teach you about their functions.
Main part of the campaign - three hostile factions
Investigating the three hostile factions and stopping them is the most important part of the XCOM: Chimera Squad campaign. Theses factions are:
- The Progeny
- Gray Phoenix
- Sacred Coil
All information on how to deal with the factions can be found in the Hostile factions chapter. Below you can read about the most important elements, and check how to make progress in the campaign:
The choice of which faction you want to investigate first is illusory - in the end, you will have to deal with them all. The only difference is the difficulty. For example, if you deal with a specific faction first, it will be much easier than dealing with the same faction as the last. When you finish investigating a faction, the game will let you choose your next target.
Story missions are marked in purple on the map. However, they can differ in priority. The more important ones are those that require you to wait a certain number of days before you will be able to do them. Missions with lower priority can reduce this waiting time by 1 or even a few days.
Your investigation log, found in the Investigation tab, will grow as you make progress in the main story. At some point, the game will also add the option to identify the leader of a given faction. The investigation log isn't interactive.
There will be a moment where you will have to decide on its progress. You will have to choose from two different ops. This choice will have an impact on the next story missions, encountered enemies, and Dark Events. However, both options have one thing in common - they will get you closer to dealing with a given faction once and for all.
Take Down is the last mission for each of the factions. Save your progress before starting it. Choose the most well-trained agents and equip them with the best gear. This mission has a very similar structure for all three factions:
- The game informs you that the Take Down mission will feature two encounters. That isn't true, however, because this mission has three encounters in total. Don't use up one-time attacks too early - you don't want to fight the final battle without them.
- You may encounter a mini-boss in one of the early phases. Don't use your supplies and keep all your agents alive.
- The main boss appears in the third encounter. Dealt with the leader and the other gang members to complete the mission.
- All bosses can be divided into two main groups. The first group has bosses who are just stronger variants of the regular enemies - they can have more health points, deal more damage, or perform actions more often. The second group consists of unique enemies. Among the bosses in this group, you have Sectopod and Gatekeeper. You may recognize these enemies from the previous XCOM games - this will give you the advantage.
Complete the Take Down mission to finish the investigation - you will be able to move on to the next faction. Remember, other factions don't attack the Chimera Squad during an investigation.
Final mission 1 - Protect City Hall
You can access the finale after stopping all 3 factions, that is after you investigate them all and defeat the boss during the Take Down mission.
One out of the two final missions will appear on City 31's map - Protect City Hall. As the name suggests, your task is to eliminate the enemies inside the city hall building.
Protect City Hall mission consists of three encounters:
- The first battle takes place on the square in front of the building. Watch out for the numerous cars - they can explode with ease and deal massive damage to all nearby units.
- The second battle takes place in the city hall's lobby. Watch out for the enemies located on the top floor - they will have a perfect view on the whole lobby.
- The third encounter takes place in the city council's rooms. One of the civilians will barricade themselves in the room in the corner. Your task is to stop the enemies before they destroy the barricade. You will face powerful enemies like MEC, Necromancer, or Bomber. Use your best one-time skills and gadgets - you won't need them in this mission anymore. Defeat all terrorists to complete the mission.
Final mission 2 - Take Down Atlas
This mission is much more challenging. Spend as many resources as you need to equip your agents with the best gear. Be sure to send out the best characters - without scars or other negative statuses. Replacing one of the agents with an android can make things more difficult, especially when you lose someone with particularly useful skills.
Take Down Atlas mission consists of four encounters. The final battles will take place in the old Advent command center.
The first encounter takes place in the shooting range located on the ground floor. There are many good covers here. You will face, e.g. mechs - focus your attacks on them.
The second battle takes place in the room on the 80th floor. You will face Sectoids - don't let them use mind control on one of your agents. You should also stop Necromancers from summoning zombies.
Your objective in this encounter is to kill the enemy with the access card. Pick it up (stand on the yellow rectangle) and then order the entire squad to head to the elevator - it is located on the opposite end of the room. Remember, the elevator will work only when all four characters get inside it. Try to be fast here - you don't want to fight the reinforcements.
The third battle takes place on the rooftop. Start by eliminating all opponents who were on the rooftop from the very beginning.
The two batches of reinforcements will get here via the elevator. These enemies are tough - remember, you have one more encounter to win so don't use up your strongest area of effect skills. Despite that, you should still use one of these attacks on enemies when they are standing close to each other. If you aren't sure that you will succeed or you have severely injured agents, defend yourself at the opposite end of the rooftop. This map is rather long - the hostiles should have problems with getting closer to your agents.
The fourth battle takes place in the Atlas command center. You will face the final boss - Sovereign. He has a lot of health, but his skills aren't that dangerous (excluding the one that can make one of your agents lose ammo). Try to make the boss unable to move - you can do that with a stun grenade or stasis field.
Besides the boss, you will also face e.g. Warlocks (try to kill at least one of them fast), a Ronin, and a Praetorian. Use all one-time attacks - this is the final battle of the game.
Defeat the enemies to complete the mission and finish the campaign. Watch the cut-scene and check the campaign summary screen (number of completed missions, number of killed and apprehended enemies, overall campaign time, etc.).