130mm S-70: penetration 260mm; damage 490
Hull: 150mm/150mm/100mm, turret: 240mm/185mm/94mm
2150 health points
Top speed: 50km/h, engine: 1050HP
The IS-7 is a continuation of the tradition started with the IS-3 and the IS-8. Again, you will deal here with a quite mobile vehicle which, unlike its predecessors, has been equipped with one of the best armors in the game. The high top speed, combined with the reliable driving unit and a very good cannon, makes this tank one of the most dangerous opponents that you can meet in the World of Tanks - not without a reason, this vehicle has dominated clan games for a long time. Today, because of the high penetration cannons that appeared, this tank has somewhat lost its significance, but you still need to approach this vehicle carefully. It has impressive parameters and is often able to win the entire battle.
Development, equipment, crew
IS-7 has elite status from the very beginning.
Preferred equipment: shell rammer, vertical stabilizer, improved ventilation.
Optional equipment: toolbox, improved guidance system, spall liner
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew. You can also try selecting skills that improve the tank's handling, like the clutch braking or the off-road driving.
In spite of the armoring, of the thickness of 150mm, the pike-nose, and the angle of the individual fragments, make the IS-7 capable of repelling any shell fired at it. While attacking this tank from the front, you should attack the lower-front armor plate - with good angling (at the right angle, or while the opponent is coming up the hill) you can penetrate it with cannons of the penetration value of 200-220mm. the glacis plate is practically invulnerable to fire from cannons below 260mm of penetration value and the users of these cannons should pick the right targets. While opposite the IS-7, avoid shooting at the nose itself - it is best to aim into the area of the headlights. In the case in which the enemy is inclined at a slight angle, this will be the only weak point in its glacis plate.
The sides of the IS-7 are much weaker than it might seem. It is enough that the opponent is angled at 30 degrees to you and you will be able to penetrate its skirt with a cannon of the penetration value of 220mm, or higher. The most important thing, in this case, is to fire well-aimed shots between the tracks and the skirt.
The turret of the IS-7 is indestructible at its front side. You can try hitting the cupola, or place your shell right next to the cannon armor, but in most cases this will not harm the enemy. Additionally, the turret of the IS-7 is very resistant to shots from the side - in this case, it is better to aim right next to the cupola - this fragment has been situated at a smaller angle and it is easier to penetrate it.
How to play...
...as the driver of the IS-7?
- This vehicle combines perfect mobility with excellent armoring. While fighting against the opponents of lower tiers, you only need to protect your lower-front armor plate and focus on firing well-aimed shots towards the enemy. You only need to watch out for the IS-8, the ST-I, the M103, the Conqueror and the AMX 50 120 tanks, because they are armed with cannons sufficient to penetrate your glacis plate.
- While fighting against tanks of the same tier, you can still rely on your armor but, whenever possible, you should search for the hull down position and make the opponent attack your turret.
- The cannon of the IS-7 deals immense damage and it has the penetration value, as high as 260mm, but its aiming time is quite long so, it is not that good for combat in motion.
- In spite of the strong glacis plate, your sides and the back are still vulnerable to fire. You constantly need to pay attention to the distribution of the enemy vehicles and, at all costs, avoid the situation in which you are attacked from multi[le sides all at once.
- This tank has a high top speed, but you should use it only for swift relocation. All lonely raids or attempts at scouting nearly always end tragically.
...against the IS-7?
- I recommend against fire duels with this tank, unless your cannon is good and you are using premium shells (subcaliber or HEAT shells). The regular AT ammo is capable of damaging the IS-7, but ricochets are nothing out of ordinary.
- Whenever possible, you should attack this tank from the sides or from behind, where the armoring of the IS-7 is quite poor. While shooting at the opponent's back, you can damage it without major problems, even with cannons mounted on tier eight tanks.
- The IS-7 drivers sometimes forget that they are not indestructible - an isolated opponent is easy to encircle and destroy.
- While firing at a tank with its side towards you, it is a good idea to aim at the front (or the back) wheel - not only will you deal damage, but also will you immobilize the tank, which will make things easier for your allies.
- When it comes to this, the immobilized IS-7 can be destroyed with artillery fire. If the shell hits the side of the tank, the chances that only one shell will suffice, are high.