122mm M62-T2: penetration 268mm; damage 440
Hull: 140mm/160mm/100mm, turret: 250mm/200mm/170mm
2500 health points
Top speed: 43km/h, engine: 750HP
Close combat, medium distance combat
The IS-4 is an improved version of the ST-I. This tank is better, than its predecessor, in any respect: it is better armored, the reload time and the focus time are shorter, it has higher top speed and a better engine. The playing style remains the same, but removing the flaws of the ST-I will allows you to remain in battle for longer than in the case of the ST-I.
Development, equipment, crew
Initially, the IS-4 is armed with the historical 122mm D-25T cannon. You only need to replace it with the previously developed (on the IS-8 or the ST-I) 122mm M62-T2 cannon.
Preferred equipment: shell rammer, vertical stabilizer, improved ventilation.
Optional equipment: toolbox, improved guidance system, spall liner
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew.
The general armoring pattern for the IS-4 is the same as for the ST-I. Unfortunately, there are several important differences between the two. First of all: the thickness of the lower-front armor has increased - it is still the weakest point on the tank, when it comes to the front armor, but this time you will need a cannon, of the penetration value of, above 200mm (220mm or more is preferred) to deal damage on a regular basis. Also the driver's hatch turned much harder and repels shots more often. The glacis plate is very resistant to fire and, just like in the case of the ST-I, only cannons of the penetration value of 260mm, or higher, are capable of penetrating it on a regular basis.
The sides of the tank became more resistant than in the predecessor. The 160mm thick armor, after it is angled, is capable of repelling many shells, which is why, while attacking the IS-4 from the side, you should aim right below the skirt over the tracks, so that you can hit the lower-side part of the hull. With cannons of larger penetration, you can easily aim at the upper side of the hull - most of the shots should deal damage.
The turret is, virtually, indestructible. There are two small points that are very difficult to find, and which can be penetrated with weaker cannons (of around 200mm penetration value): the roof of the turret, right behind the cannon armor, and the cupola. Apart from that, those armed with better cannons can hit the front side of the turret on both sides of the cannon's yoke - this point is much more resistant, but it is the only way to damage the IS-4, in the case in which it glues to you.
How to play...
...as the driver of the IS-4?
- Use the same tactic as in the case of the ST-I.
- The IS-4's glacis plate is immensely resistant to fire- always position yourself with your front towards the enemy (or at a slight angle) and as much as possible, hide the lower-front armor plate behind natural obstacles. The IS-4 positioned in this way is nearly impossible to eliminate without encircling its position, or without the artillery support.
- The 122mm M62-T2 canon has the penetration value of, around, 268mm - this allows your vehicle to fight against any enemy in the game. Due to the long aiming times, I recommend against firing in motion; after you take your aim, you can shoot even over the distance of 300-400 meters. Additionally, you can use the HEAT shells, which are capable of piercing 400mm thick steel!
- Thanks to the immensely tough turret, your tank can glue to the enemy vehicle - if the enemy has no appropriate cannon, and special ammo for it, his chances to survive drop to zero.
- Before you start going uphill, you need to make sure that the enemy will not be able to lay fire down on your vulnerable sides or the back - the IS-4 is not too fast a tank and crossing over elevations takes some time.
- The IS-4 is vulnerable to artillery fire - it is worthwhile to spend some time learning the maps and learning the locations where you are same from the fire of self-propelled guns.
...against the IS-4?
- While on vehicles of lower tiers, attack this vehicle only from the side or from behind; the potential frontal attacks should always be aimed at the lower-front armor plate.
- If possible, you should not allow the IS-4 to glue to you - shaking it off is very difficult and often ends in a failure.
- If you encounter the IS-4 in the hull down position, it will be necessary to encircle it and attack it from the side or summon the support of the artillery. Frontal attacks on the fortified positions defended by this tank are, almost always, doomed to fail.
- Regardless of the tank that you are driving, you need to pay attention constantly to your enemy - it is armed with a perfect cannon capable of piercing any vehicle in the game.