122mm M62-T2: penetration 268mm; damage 440
Hull: 120mm/80mm/60mm, turret: 201mm/129mm/50mm
1800 health points
Top speed: 50km/h, engine: 750HP
Support tank, medium distance combat, close combat
IS-8 is the successor of the IS-3 heavy tank. Practically all the parameters, of the predecessor, have been enhanced here: the armor is thicker, a better cannon is mounted, the top speed is higher. Unfortunately, due to the fact that it encounters the regular tier nine and ten tanks, the slight improvements in the distribution of the armoring, have not improved this tank's resistance to fire greatly. For that reason, unlike the IS-3, which was a vehicle to breach enemy lines, playing the IS-8 resembles playing on a very heavy medium tank. It should circle the enemy forces, harass them with constant attacks and search for the most convenient moment to strike, and then join the main assault force to help eliminate the vehicles that remained in the game.
Development, equipment, crew
Again, the most important piece of equipment which you will have to develop is the 122mm M62-T2 cannon. Unfortunately, to mount it onto the vehicle, you are going to need to develop new suspension. Then, develop a new engine, new turret and the radio.
Preferred equipment: shell rammer, vertical stabilizer, improved ventilation.
Optional equipment: toolbox, improved guidance system, spall liner
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew.
The general armoring pattern of the IS-8 is nearly identical with the one on the IS-3. Unfortunately, the armor is slightly thicker than on the predecessor and the penetration value of the cannons has gone up, alongside with the tank's tier, these are the reasons for some changes in the vehicle's weak points.
The glacis plate is still pike-shaped, but it is resistant only to shells of the penetration value of 200mm. The cannons that fire these shells should aim at the weak point known from the IS-3: the lower-front armor plate . Tank equipped with better cannons can easily take on the glacis plate - practically, any direct hit deals damage.
Unfortunately, the IS-8 has lost its side armor, which the IS-3 had. The double armoring is still there, but it only protects the central part of the vehicle - a direct hit above it, as well as below, penetrate the tank's armor without any problems.
The turret is as resistant as in the case of the predecessor - while fighting enemies, whose cannon descent is small, you can try to stand side-to-side with them. Also, hiding behind elevations or the other natural obstacles, also does the job - in this case, you will have to aim at the cupola on the top of the IS-8's turret.
How to play...
...as the driver of the IS-8?
- This tank drives like a very heavy medium tank, and that is how you should play it. Do not charge at the enemy because your armor is too weak - move alongside the rims of the battlefield and search for a good opportunity to fire a single shot; then, retreat to reload.
- Because of its speed, the IS-8 may accompany the other medium tanks and form wolfpacks, which will considerably increase the firepower of the entire group.
- Although the side armor has been weakened, the IS-8 may still take on the shots to the tracks, which is very advantageous during the battle in the developed areas
- The turret of the IS-8 has several weak points, but it is rounded enough to repel easily shells fired over longer distance. Your tank may lean out from behind natural obstacles without any problems, to fire a shot.
- While fighting against the vehicles armed with cannons of the penetration value of 175mm, you can easily attack, because their weapon is incapable of damaging your glacis plate. In this case, however, you need to remember not to angle the IS-8 - your nose needs to be pointing directly at him.
- The elevation arc of the IS-8 is very low. While crossing a hill, you usually need to expose the entire hull. For that reason, I recommend against fighting, on this vehicle, over rolling surfaces - it is better to choose another path of attack.
...against the IS-8?
- If you are armed with a cannon of the penetration value above 220mm, you only have to shoot at the glacis plate to penetrate it without major problems. The IS-8 is very poorly armored, as for a tier nine vehicle.
- Do not exchange fire one-to-one. An IS-8 shell deals, on average, 440 health points of damage - which is more than any other cannon of this level. In the case, in which you fight the IS-8, the best idea is to take advantage of your high rate of fire and fire several times, when the enemy is capable of only one.
- If, one of your flanks is not protected, the enemy IS-8 may, without major problems, make it through there, over on your back. You should always watch out for the movements of the enemy forces and prevent offensive operations beforehand.
- The IS-8 de-tracks often. The immobilized tank is a very easy target and, as much as possible, you should focus on destroying it, before it manages to retreat or strike from another direction.