100mm D-54TS: penetration 264mm; damage 320
Hull: 102mm/75mm/45mm, turret: 240mm/161mm/65mm
1950 health points
Top speed: 50km/h, engine: 580HP
Medium distance combat, Support tank, close combat
The T-62A is the last medium tank available for Russians. This vehicle is discernibly slower than its predecessor, and much worse armored. In exchange for that, it has immense mobility (its rotation time is only several seconds long) and armed with a cannon of high rate of fire: the 100mm D-54TS. This cannon is capable of firing a shell every 5 seconds and so, damage that the T-62A can deal, per minute, is one of the highest in the game. Due to the relatively weak armoring, this vehicle should fight over medium distances and implement the "hit and flee" tactic. It is perfect for fighting in the urban environment, where it is very easy to immobilize the enemy vehicle and lay fire down on its weak points. The T-62A is not only a reliable tank, but also one of the most convenient vehicle to drive, available in the World of Tanks.
Development, equipment, crew
T-62A has the elite status from the very beginning.
Preferred equipment: shell rammer, vertical stabilizer, improved ventilation
Optional equipment: camouflage net, improved guidance system
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew.
The armoring pattern of the T-62A is identical with the one on the T-54. The most resistant fragment of the hull is the glacis plate, which is capable of reflecting shells of 175mm penetration value and, if angled, also 200mm. The lower armor plate is easy to penetrate, and so are the sides and the rear of the vehicle.
The turret of the T-62A is even more resistant than in the case of the T-54, and only several cannons, firing premium shells, are capable of damaging it. The back of the turret can still be penetrated with any given cannon in the game.
The ammo compartment is located at the back of the turret and directly under it; the engine is at the back of the hull, as is the standard.
How to play...
...as the driver of the T-62A?
- This vehicle drives similarly to the T-54, but you need to take several important differences between these vehicles, into consideration. Your glacis plate is weaker than in the case of the predecessor, which is why you should not get involved into frontal exchange of fire, and the lower top speed means that, sometimes, the other medium tanks will beat you to the most important points on the map.
- Your considerable top speed and high mobility still allows you to move around the map, seize strategic points and flank the enemy forces quickly.
- Just like all medium tanks, the T-62A is perfect for raids behind the enemy lines, firing several shots and escaping into your designated position.
- The T-62A can easily form wolfpacks with the other medium tanks and breach the frontline, by using the firepower of the remaining tanks in the group.
- The 100mm D-54TS cannon is very accurate and it can be used to fire at distant targets. Because of the high penetration value, you will be capable of damaging, virtually, any enemy - only some of the heavy tanks remain invulnerable to your fire. Additionally, the high rate of fire will allow you to de-track tanks easily, and then to surround the larger enemy vehicles.
- The T-62A is perfect for one-on-one duels with the other medium tanks. Thanks to the low design and the resistant turret, it is capable of moving within short distance of the opponent, and enabling him to fire only at the thick cannon armor, while attacking his sides and the back himself. This tactic is especially effective against lone heavy tanks
- You need to pay constant attention to the distribution of enemy forces - if the enemy manages to separate you from your allies, you will become a morsel to him.
...against the T-62A?
- This vehicle is very weakly armored. Apart from the front part of the turret, any direct hit is capable of piercing its armor and deal damage. Even light tanks are capable of damaging this vehicle, by attacking its sides and the rear.
- One-on-one duels with the T-62A are very difficult - if the opponent manages to de-track you, and shorten the distance to several meters, he will win such a fight, virtually, always. While fighting you over medium distance, it can defeat you thanks to its firepower. The best thing to do is attack it, at least, with someone else by your side and try to immobilize it right at the beginning of the fight.
- You need to pay constant attention to the distribution of the enemy medium tanks and block their, possible, raid onto your flank or the rear, where they can destroy the artillery and lay fire down on the weak points of the remaining vehicles.
- Just like any Soviet medium tank, the T-62A is easy to de-track. It pays off to aim at the stub wheel or the drive sprocket, and finish it off after it is immobilized.