85mm D5T-85BM: penetration 144mm; damage 180
Hull: 45mm/45mm/45mm, turret: 90mm/75mm/52mm
720 health points
Top speed: 54km/h, engine: 600HP
Medium distance combat, Support tank
The T-34-85 is a modified T-34 medium tank, equipped with a better driving unit, a bigger and better armored turret and, of course, a new cannon: the 85mm D5T-85BM. This change in equipment directly influences the way of fighting on this vehicle - this time you will be conducting fire at short distances. Thanks to the greater penetration value of the new cannon, you will be able to defeat any opponent that you encounter - of course, while fighting the heavier vehicles, it is necessary to flank them first and attack afterwards. The higher damage dealt by your ammo also allows you to fire single shots and retreat to reload - a tactic unavailable for the T-34.
Development, equipment, crew
In the first place, you should develop and mount a new turret, and a new 85mm D5T-85BM cannon onto your vehicle. In spite of the weak driving unit, with such armament, you will be able to fight easily against enemies of the same, or even higher, tiers. The next step is to develop a new engines; suspension is to be developed as the last, in the case of the T-34-85-60. Before your adventure with the T-34-85 ends, you should develop all the available modules, because most of them will make their way into the successive vehicles: the T-43 and the KV-13.
Preferred equipment: shell rammer, improved guidance system, improved ventilation
Optional equipment: toolbox, camouflage net.
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew.
The hill's armoring in the T-34-85 is identical with the one in the T-34 and it ensures, almost, no protection against tier five vehicles, and higher: it only takes 80mm of penetration value to penetrate your front or the back. The turret has been lightly enhanced and its front is now protected with 90mm thick steel plate. The shells fired at it will ricochet occasionally, but you will be able to damage the vehicle in the majority of cases.
How to play...
...as the driver of the T-34-85?
- Just like the T-34, your vehicle is an universal tank: you can form wolfpacks, support the heavier vehicles by flanking the enemy, or charge at the positions held by vehicles of lower tiers. The T-34-85 is reliable in practically any situation that you can encounter in the battlefield.
- The vehicle has been provided with two effective cannons. One of the more interesting one is the 122mm U-11 howitzer - after you load it with HEAT shells, you can destroy the majority of vehicles in two shots. Unfortunately, the weapon has low accuracy, which makes you approach the enemy vehicle before you fire.
- The other cannon is the 85mm D5T-85BM and it is more popular. This cannon is highly versatile - it has one of the highest penetration values among tier six vehicles, its shells deal high damage, it is sufficiently accurate and allows you to acquire your target quite quickly after the tank stops. The disadvantages? The damage dealt per minute is not too high, which is why you should not fight the other vehicles face-to-face.
- While fighting vehicles of tier four, you can rely on your armoring - after it is angled, the enemy should inflict no damage to you.
- While fighting tier five and six vehicles, you need to be more conservative - their weapons are capable of damaging you but, it is you to deal the most damage. In this case, it is worthwhile to show only the front side, of your turret, the enemy, fire once and then retreat to reload.
- While fighting vehicles of tier seven, and even more so in the case of tier eight, your role boils down to supporting the heavier tanks. You should focus on destroying light and medium tanks, which try to get to your artillery. Whenever the opportunity arises, fire at the sides of the enemy's heavy tanks.
- You should fight your battles at medium distance, between 100 and 200 meters of the enemy. While fighting at close distances, you may be easily outwitted by light tanks, and your cannon is not accurate enough to win sniper duels.
- While fighting against heavy tanks, you can, just like in the case of the T-34, circle them and pound at their weak points. Unfortunately, due to the poor maneuverability of the T-34-85, you will not be capable of defeating any enemy you encounter, in this way.
...against the T-34-85?
- While on a tank of a lower tier, you need to take into account the fact that the T-34-85 deals quite considerable damage and is capable of destroying you in, barely, several shots. The best idea is to flank its position or respond with fire, while the enemy is reloading. It pays off to fire from locations where you are difficult to get - gaps between buildings, windows, ruins - the cannon of the T-34-85 is not the most accurate one and will have problems hitting such a point.
- While on a tank of a higher tier, you should always expose your front-side armor to fire. The T-34-85 only has 144mm of penetration value so, it will have problems damaging an angled IS, or even the Tiger. Several well-aimed shots should turn the enemy into a steaming wreckage.
- You should watch out for the flanking T-34-85, because they are capable of damaging even the eight tier vehicles.
- Just like the T-23, this tank is easy to de-track - it is a good idea to fire at the stub wheel or the drive sprocket to render it immobile, and then finish it off with the next salvo.