OQF 17-pdr cannon Mk. VII: penetration 171mm; damage 150
Hull: 152mm/95mm/25mm, turret: 152mm/95mm/95mm
1450 health points
Top speed: 20km/h, engine: 600HP
Medium distance combat, close combat
The Black Prince is the last one of the British infantry tanks. Just like its predecessors, this tank is well armored, has a lot of health points and has a cannon of high rate of fire. Still, its top speed and maneuverability are low. In spite of its downsides, it is a very dangerous opponent, capable of defeating any vehicle of its own tier, while in one-on-one duels - it is a reliable but, unfortunately, sluggish tank.
Development, equipment, crew
Start by developing the OQF 17-pdr cannon Mk. VII, Then, unlock the Rolls-Royce Meteor engine, suspension and the radio.
Preferred equipment: shell rammer, vertical stabilizer, improved ventilation.
Optional equipment: toolbox, improved guidance system
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew. You can also try selecting the skills that improve on the performance of the tank, such as the clutch braking or the off-road driving.
The front armoring of the Black Prince's is almost identical with the one on the Churchill VII. It is 152mm thick all over and its only weak points is the fragment of the hull behind the tracks. With the cannon of the penetration value of 200mm, you can easily fire at the front of the Black Prince - only occasionally will the shots ricochet. The sides of the tank, if angled, are resistant to most attacks - fire at them only if they are inclined at a low angle.
The front of the Black Prince's turret is its most resistant fragment - it has a very thick plate capable of repelling any shot fired at it. While firing at the turret of this tank, you should aim at the small, flat fragments and avoid hitting its center. The sides are considerably weaker and any cannon of the seventh tier should be capable of penetrating it without major problems.
How to play...
...as the driver of the Black Prince?
- Although the vehicle is heavily armored, and has a lot of health points, you should not (unless required by the circumstances) use it to fight in the first line. While keeping the distance of 200 meters of the opponent, you should be able to penetrate its armor without any problems, and the opponent will have great problems trying to reach your only weak points, i.e. the hull covered by the tracks. Additionally, if you enter the hull down, you only expose the very resistant turret to fire.
- While fighting vehicles of a lower tier, you can easily attack them from the front - virtually no opponent will be capable of damaging you, and the OQF 17-pdr cannon Mk. VII will deal with them in no time at all.
- While fighting on vehicles of the same, or higher, tier, your only defense in the open field is angling your vehicle. As far as it is possible, you should use the hull down position, or attack the sides of the enemy, or its weak points - this may be difficult to pull off, due to the low speed of the Black Prince.
- Your tank is slow, just like all of the tanks in the Churchill family. Before you start your journey around the map, you should find out where your support will be the most needed and go there. Unfortunately, the Black Prince is incapable of changing positions quickly, and therefore, the inappropriate assessment of the allied forces' distribution, may result in the enemy ignoring you and capturing your flag.
- Unlike the Churchill I and the Churchill VII, the Black Prince may lower the cannon freely (unfortunately, towards the front and the sides of the hull only) which allows it to conduct fire from behind low hillocks and elevations.
...against the Black Prince?
- While on a vehicle of a lower tier, you should never attack its front. Its front is incredibly resistant to fire, thanks to which it can defeat several tanks simultaneously. The best idea is to flank the tank or attack its weak rear.
- While driving a tank of a higher tier, you can shoot towards the front, into the tracks. Not only will you immobilize the enemy this way, but also deal damage. Cannons of the penetration value of 200mm, or higher, should penetrate its front armor easily.
- While fighting the opponent, you should shorten the distance and, after you immobilize it (by de-tracking) you will be able to circle the enemy and conduct continuous fire. The Black Prince's spin is very slow and it will be incapable to follow you.
- Just like in the case of each slow tank, you can de-track this one and summon the support of self-propelled guns - thanks to its size, the Black Prince is an easy target.