120mm SA 46: penetration 267mm; damage 400 (4 shells in the magazine)
Hull: 170mm/30mm/30mm, turret: 100mm/50mm/30mm
2100 health points
Top speed: 65km/h, engine: 1200HP
Support tank, medium distance combat
The AMX 50B is another one in the line of the French heavy tanks. At first glance, it is no different from the AMX 50 120 - the same cannon and equally poor armoring (save the Glacis plate), but there are several crucial details weighing in favor of this tank. Better elevation arc, better driving unit and reliable front allow this tank to implement new tactics in the battlefield.
Development, equipment, crew
AMX 50B has the elite status from the very beginning.
Preferred equipment: improved guidance system, vertical stabilizer, improved ventilation.
Optional equipment: toolbox
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew. Alternatively, you can select the snap shot (the gunner) and smooth ride (the driver).
The AMX 50B is poorly armored: both its hull, and its turret, can be penetrated by any tank that it encounters in the battlefield. Only the glacis plate is resistant enough to repel, often, shells fired by vehicles even of tier ten. This is why, the best target is, always, the back of the turret. Hitting the vehicle on the back may set it on fire and direct hits into the turret often damage the ammo compartment.
How to play...
...as the driver of the AMX 50B?
- This tank comes equipped with a cannon with the revolver magazine. This means that, reloading the entire magazine takes longer (around 27 seconds) but the intervals between the individual shots are about 2 second long. For this reason, the best tactic is to find an enemy, fire at them the entire series (usually, after the fourth one, the enemy will be ready to attack again) and retreat to reload.
- Just like the AMX 50 120, the AMX 50B is no good for one-on-one duels. Your salvo takes, barely, 1600 points of damage, which only suffices to destroy tier seven and eight vehicles - those of tiers nine and ten will still have enough health points to wreck your tank.
- The armor of this vehicle is quite poor, which is why it is better to stay in the second line and attack the enemy at the moment at which he has already fired his shot. It is imperative that you avoid artillery fire - it only takes one direct hit to turn the AMX 50B into a steaming wreckage.
- Due to the long reload times, you need to keep a careful eye on the environment, to prevent getting in front of the enemy, when your cannon is still not yet ready to fire.
- This tank has a high top speed, but you should only be using that for quick relocation. Any lonely racing around the map, or attempts at scouting, nearly always have a tragic end to them.
- This tank has a relatively good elevation arc - it can easily shoot from behind hills to protect its vulnerable hull.
- The AMX 50B has sufficiently thick glacis plate, good top speed and excellent driving unit, which makes it possible to ram into enemies. If you spot a target that is lighter than you, you can easily ram into it - the collision and four shells in your magazine should suffice to eliminate any medium tank, including tier ten vehicles.
- Due to the unique playing style (the quick attack and long reload cycle)this vehicle may be quite difficult to master by beginner players. I recommend it only for advanced players.
...against the AMX 50B?
- Never get involved into one-on-one duels with the AMX 50B, if you are on a tank of tier VIII. The French tank is capable of destroying you in one attack and then up and leave. The most important thing is to count how many shots it has fired and attack after it is out of ammo to eliminate you (each shot from this tank deals, around, 400 points of damage).
- Even if you are driving a tier ten vehicle, I recommend that you attack the AMX 50B in larger groups. One-on-one duels, usually, do not end in your death, but you will be left severely wounded and the AMX 50B will up and go.
- Once you have noticed the enemy vehicle that is lurking nearby, and you are engaged into combat with the other enemy tanks, you need to be prepared for a potential attack of the AMX 50 100. These vehicles often appear from behind covers at the moment that you fire, and retreat before you manage to reload.
- The best method to eliminate the AMX 50B is to concentrate all the available cannons on it and de-track it. This vehicle should always be the initial target because, even with 100 health points, it is capable of dealing 1600 points of damage.
- The AMX 50 100 is a perfect target for artillery. The big and poorly armored tank can be destroyed, even after the initial shot.