AMX 50 120
120mm SA 46: penetration 267mm; damage 400 (4 shells in the magazine)
Hull: 100mm/80mm/60mm, turret: 100mm/80mm/60mm
1750 health points
Top speed: 65km/h, engine: 1000HP
Support tank, medium distance combat
AMX 50 120 is an improved version of the AMX 50 100. It has a bit better glacis plate and a much better cannon than its predecessor. It still has access to the revolver magazine: while using the 100mm SA 47 cannon, your salvo consists of 6 shells - the more modern 120mm SA 46 is only capable of firing four shells before you need to reload. The playing style is similar to what you have been doing on the AMX 50 100.
Development, equipment, crew
The AMX 50 120 can, from the very beginning, use the 100mm SA 47 that you have developed earlier. The next step is either to develop the 120mm SA 46 cannon, or the Saurer engine. Unfortunately, the low load capacity of the basic suspension makes it impossible to install modules or a better radio. This is why it is the net element that requires modernization.
Preferred equipment: improved guidance system, vertical stabilizer, improved ventilation.
Optional equipment: toolbox
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew. Alternatively, you can select the snap shot (the gunner) and smooth ride (the driver).
Just like all the tanks of this series, the AMX, AMX 50 120 has very poor armor. Both its hull and the turret, can be penetrated by any tank that it encounters in the battlefield - only the Glacis plate is, occasionally, capable of repelling an enemy shell but, in the HEAT of the battle, you should not rely on it. Direct hits into the back of the vehicle can set it on fire and, hits into the turret, often damage the ammo compartment.
How to play...
...as the driver of the AMX 50 120?
- This tank comes equipped with a cannon with the revolver magazine. This means that, reloading the entire magazine takes longer (around 33 seconds) but the intervals between the individual shots are about 2 second long. For this reason, the best tactic is to find an enemy, fire at them the entire series (usually, after the fourth one, the enemy will be ready to attack again) and retreat to reload.
- Unlike its predecessor, the AMX 50 120 is no good for one-on-one duels. Your salvo takes, barely, 1600 points of damage, which only suffices to destroy tier seven and eight vehicles - those of tiers nine and ten will still have enough health points to wreck your tank.
- The armor of this vehicle is quite poor, which is why it is better to stay in the second line and attack the enemy at the moment at which he has already fired his shot. It is imperative that you avoid artillery fire - it only takes one direct hit to turn the AMX 50 120 into a steaming wreckage.
- Due to the long reload times, you need to keep a careful eye on the environment, to prevent getting in front of the enemy, when your cannon is still not yet ready to fire.
- This tank has a high top speed, but you should only be using that for quick relocation. Any lonely racing around the map, or attempts at scouting, nearly always have a tragic end to them.
- This vehicle has a relatively low elevation arc - the best idea is to use it for combat over flat terrain and avoid any battles around hills or elevations.
- Due to the unique playing style (the quick attack and long reload cycle)this vehicle may be quite difficult to master by beginner players. I recommend it only for advanced players
...against the AMX 50 120?
- Never get involved into one-on-one duels with the AMX 50 100, if you are on a tank of tier VIII, or lower. The French tank is capable of destroying you in one attack and then up and leave. The most important thing is to count how many shots it has fired and attack after it is out of ammo to eliminate you (each shot from this tank deals, around, 400 points of damage).
- Once you have noticed the enemy vehicle lurking nearby, and you are engaged into combat with other enemy tanks, you need to be prepared for a potential attack of the AMX 50 120. These vehicles often appear from behind covers at the moment that you fire, and retreat before you manage to reload.
- The best method to eliminate the AMX 50 120 is to concentrate all the available cannons on it and de-track it. This vehicle should always be the initial target because, even with 100 health points left, it is capable of dealing 1600 points of damage.
- The AMX 50 100 is a perfect target for artillery. The big and poorly armored tank can be destroyed, even after the initial shot.