120mm cannon T179: penetration 269mm; damage 400 (4 shells in the magazine)
Hull: 203mm/50mm/38mm, turret: 127mm/137mm/50mm
2250 health points
Top speed: 35km/h, engine: 810HP
Support tank, medium distance combat
T57 Heavy is the crowning jewel of the line of American tanks equipped with revolver magazines. This tanks is both the heaviest and the best armored vehicles in the branch initialized by the T71. Just like its predecessors, i.e. the T69 and the T54E1 medium tanks , it is a support vehicle that moves directly behind the frontline and appears near the enemy only to fire the entire magazine, after which it retreats and waits for another opportunity to strike.
When it comes to playing style, this tank is very similar to the French AMX 50Bbut it is slightly slower and slightly better armored. Additionally, its reload times are shorter (22 seconds at most) which allows it to return to battle more often.
Development, equipment, crew
The T57 Heavy has the elite status from the very beginning.
Preferred equipment: improved guidance system, vertical stabilizer, improved ventilation.
Optional equipment: toolbox
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew. Alternatively, you can choose the snap shot (the gunner) and smooth ride (the driver).
Unlike the typical heavy tanks, the T57 Heavy is quite poorly armored. Its hull resembles tanks such as the M103 or the T110E5 and has similar weak points: the lower front armor is the most vulnerable to fire and the weld and the glacis plate are capable of repelling some of the shell. This vehicle, just like the majority of the American vehicles, has thick tracks, which perfectly increase the resistance of the side armor, if the hull is slightly angled. Enemy shells at the right angle, or into the back of the vehicle, are unstoppable and always deal full damage.
The oscillating turret of the T57 Heavy is just as vulnerable as the hull. Due to its unique design, it was impossible to apply thicker armoring and an additional cannon armor plate, which is why, every shell that hits a flat surface, should be capable of penetrating it. Only shells that impact the area around the cannon may ricochet sometimes.
How to play...
...as the driver of the T57 Heavy?
- This vehicle has a unique cannon mounted, which is equipped with revolver magazine. This means that it takes longer to reload the entire magazine (around 22 seconds) but the breaks between the individual shots are only 2 seconds long. For this reason, the best tactic is to find an enemy, fire the four shells and retreat to reload.
- Due to the long reload times, you need to keep a careful eye on the environment, to prevent getting eye-to-eye with the enemy while the cannons is still, not yet ready to be fired.
- This vehicle is quite poorly armored, which is why it is best to move around in the second line and attack the enemy after they have already fired their shot. Within the reload time of a typical heavy tank, the T57 Heavy is capable of emptying the entire magazine and deal, around 1600 points of damage.
- Do never engage heavy tanks of tier X when they are in full health, in one-on-one duels. You do not have enough ammo to destroy it in one salvo, and the enemy tank may withstand your attack, deal considerable damage and even eliminate you from further combat.
- Due to the unique playing style (the quick attack and long reloading cycle) this vehicle may be difficult to master for beginners. I recommend it only to experienced players.
...against the T57 Heavy?
- In spite it is poorly armored, you need to watch out for the thick weld, while aiming at this tank's front, which may repel shells, as well as for wide tracks that can withstand a lot of damage.
- Once you have noticed the enemy vehicle that is lurking nearby, and you are engaged into combat with other enemy tanks, you need to be prepared for a potential attack of the T57 Heavy. These vehicles often appear from behind covers at the moment that you fire, and retreat before you manage to reload.
- The best method to eliminate the T57 Heavy is to concentrate all the available cannons on it and de-track it. This vehicle should always be the initial target because, even with 100 health points, it is capable of dealing 1600 points of damage.
- It is worthwhile to fire self-propelled guns at the T57 Heavy. The poor armor means that artillery of tier VII is capable of destroying it in one shot.