122mm 60-122TG: penetration 258mm; damage 440
Hull: 120mm/80mm/60mm, turret: 240mm/130mm/60mm
1950 health points
Top speed: 56km/h, engine: 580HP
Medium range combat, support tank
This tank is a developed version of the WZ-120. In comparison with its predecessor, this tank has thicker armor of the hull and of the turret, higher number of health points and an even more effective cannon: 122mm 60-122TG of the increased penetration value and high rate of fire. The combination of good mobility, low-profiled shape, excellent camouflage and immense firepower, makes the 121 one of the most dangerous enemies in the battlefield. Fortunately, the limited cannon vertical operation angle, considerably limits the tank's effectiveness in hilly and mountainous areas.
Development, equipment, crew
From the very beginning, the 121 has the elite status.
Preferred equipment: Shell rammer, vertical stabilizer, improved ventilation or improved guidance system (depending on your preferences)
Optional equipment: camouflage net, binocular telescope
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew.
The armoring pattern of the 121 is identical with the one in the WZ-120. The glacis plate has been thickened a bit thanks to which, after it is slightly angled, it will be able to ensure you with some protection against cannons, of the penetration value of 220mm. The sides and the rear are, still, very weak and any tank that you encounter will be capable of damaging them.
The turret of the 121 is excellently armored and, thanks to its semi-spherical shape, most shells will not deal damage to you. Only the well-aimed shots fired, from tier X cannons, will be capable of penetrating it.
The ammo compartment is located at the back of the turret and directly under it; the engine, which is a standard, at the back of the hull.
How to play...
...As the driver of the 121?
- In the long run, this tank is identical to handle to the WZ-120, which is why you should take advantage of all skills that you have learned while driving the tier IX vehicle.
- Thanks to its high mobility, and its top speed, you can support any point on the map with your firepower.
- The 121, like the other medium tanks, may form wolfpacks. The additional 440 points of damage will allow you to deal with single enemy tanks in no time at all.
- Very few expect a medium tank to be equipped with a cannon capable of penetrating 258mm of armor and deal 440 points of damage. The attacked enemy may panic out and escape, instead of getting involved into a fight.
- The 122mm 60-122TG cannon is not the most accurate one, which is why you should conduct fire from the distance of, at most, 200-300 meters. Fortunately, it has a huge penetration value, thanks to which it is often sufficient to hit within the silhouette of an enemy tank, to deal damage.
- The 121 has a very low vertical angle of cannon operation. While playing with this tank, you should avoid getting involved in combat over hilly areas; if this is impossible, it is necessary to select your targets and fire at the moment at which the enemy is reloading. Fortunately, small elevations may serve as a cover and the enemy will only be able to see the turret.
- Unlike the WZ-120, the 121 has low reload times, thanks to which it deals huge damage per minute. It is capable of winning open fights with most medium tanks and some heavy tanks. In spite of that, I still recommend hiding away for the duration of the reloading process; exchange of fire, one on one, will allow you to save up much more health points which will come in handy towards the end of the battle.
...against the 121?
- Although its armor has been improved, in comparison with the WZ-120, it is still insufficient to stop shells fired by tier IX and X vehicles; only the turret may be problematic, which is why I recommend attacking its front side.
- Never conduct a shell-for-shell exchange with the 121; this tank can win duels with medium tanks and, sometimes, even with heavy tanks. After you have located the "Chinese", it is best to attack him directly, using cannons of high rate of fire and the advantage in numbers. It pays off to shoot at the snub pulley or the drive sprocket, to break its tracks and make it impossible for it to retreat. Open combat with this vehicle is also dangerous because the 121 deals very high damage per minute.
- Even the glacis plate of the Maus does not provide proper protection against the attacks of the 121. After you encounter this vehicle, you should not expose yourself to unnecessary fire. The only moment at which the 121should be able to target you, is when you are about to destroy it.
- Just like the other Chinese medium tanks, the 121 loses its tracks very easily - it is a good idea to shoot at the snub pulley or the drive sprocket to render it immobile, and finish it off with a subsequent salvo. Additionally, each effective direct hit is capable of damaging the engine, the ammo compartment or of setting the opponent on fire.