122mm 60-122T: penetration 249mm; damage 440
Hull: 100mm/80mm/45mm, turret: 220mm/160mm/65mm
1650 health points
Top speed: 56km/h, engine: 600HP
Medium range combat, support tank
Just like in the case of the majority of Chinese tanks, the WZ-120 is a copy of the Soviet T-54. From the shape of the hull and the turret, to the driving statistics, this vehicle is deceptively similar to its Soviet counterpart. However, this is where similarities end. The Chinese tank has one feature that is missing in medium tanks of the remaining nations: a modern cal. 122mm 60-122T cannon. Not only does this cannon deal damage of 440 points, but also has an excellent armor penetration value. Unfortunately, just like in the case of the T-34-2, the angle of its vertical operation is low, which will often make you search for an appropriate position to shoot. The tank is a perfect "niner" that is capable of fighting with vehicles of the other nations on equal terms. It may be an interesting bit of information, for some, that the WZ-120 and the Type59 were, in fact, the same vehicles.
Development, equipment, crew
The development of the WZ-120 is long and burdensome, and it requires a lot of experience points. Before you take to this tank, I recommend that you develop all modules for: WZ-132, 110 and unlock a tank of the tenth tier: 112.
Your first step should be mounting the best equipment currently available for you, onto the new tank. Then, you need to unlock new suspension and turret, as quickly as possible, to be able to mount better armament. Some of the equipment makes it over to the WZ-120 from the other vehicles:
- The 100mm 60-100T cannon: you develop it while playing with the WZ-132 (Tier VIII) light tank
- The 100mm 62-100T cannon: you develop it while playing with the 110 (Tier VIII) heavy tank
- The 122mm 60-122T cannon: you receive it after you have unlocked the 112 (Tier X) heavy tank
- The A-220A Radio: you develop it while playing with the T-34-1, T-34-2, 59-16, WZ-131 or the WZ-132
- The 12150LS Engine: you develop it while playing with the IS-2, 110 or the T-34-2
After you have installed new suspension, turret and armament., you can develop the last engine, and start gathering experience points to unlock the 121 medium tank.
Preferred equipment: Shell rammer, vertical stabilizer, improved guidance system
Optional equipment: toolbox, camouflage net, binocular telescope
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew.
Unlike in its predecessors, the hull in the WZ-120 is quite well armored, which ensures some extent of protection from tier VII vehicles and, after it is angled, it will often be capable of repelling the shells fired from tier VIII tanks. Unfortunately, the sides are very vulnerable to damage, due to which, angling the vehicle, at too wide an angle, allows the enemy to deal damage to you.
The turret of the WZ-120 is very resistant to fire and only cannons of the penetration value of 250mm, or higher, will be able to penetrate it on a regular basis but, even in this case, if improperly aimed, the shell will ricochet anyways. You need to watch out for the cannons of tier X tanks, and especially, for tank destroyers, because they will be easily capable of dealing damage to you.
The ammo compartment is located at the back of the turret and directly under it; the engine, which is a standard, at the back of the hull.
How to play...
...As the driver of the WZ-120?
- In many respects, this vehicle resembles the T-34-2 armed with a cal. 122mm cannon, but it is better in any way. Thanks to the higher penetration value, higher damage and better armoring, you can easily take up the more risky tactics and take on the vehicles of the ninth and the tenth tier.
- Thanks to high mobility and top speed, you can support any point, on the map, with your firepower.
- The WZ-120, like the other medium tanks, may form wolfpacks. The additional 440 points of damage will allow you to deal with single enemy tanks in no time at all.
- Very few expect a medium tank to be equipped with a cannon capable of penetrating 249mm of armor and deal 440 points of damage. The attacked enemy may panic out and escape, instead of getting involved into a fight.
- The 122mm 60-122T cannon is not the most accurate one, which is why you should conduct fire from the distance of, at most, 200-300 meters. Fortunately, it has a huge penetration value, thanks to which it is often sufficient to hit within the silhouette of an enemy tank, to deal damage.
- The WZ-120 armed with a cal. 122mm cannon, has a very low vertical angle of the cannon's operation. While playing with this tank, you should avoid fighting in mountainous areas; if it is impossible, it is necessary to select your targets and fire at the moment at which the enemy is reloading. Fortunately, small elevations may serve as a cover and the enemy will only be able to see the turret.
- The WZ-120 has quite long reload times, which is why I recommend against any open fight with the other tier IX tanks. The best idea is to take a shot and hide for the duration of the reloading process; this vehicle is perfect for one-on-one fire exchanges.
...against the WZ-120?
- This vehicle is quite poorly armored, as for a vehicle of the ninth tier. Excluding tier VIII tanks, any enemy will be capable of penetrating your armor and only the turret is able to repel most shells. Light tanks are capable of damaging this vehicle by attacking its sides or the rear.
- Never conduct a shell-for-shell exchange with the WZ-120; this tank can win duels with medium tanks and, sometimes, even with heavy tanks. After you have located the "Chinese", it is best to attack him directly, using cannons of high rate of fire and the advantage in numbers. It pays off to shoot at the snub pulley or the drive sprocket, to break its tracks and make it impossible for it to retreat.
- Even the glacis plate of the Maus does not provide proper protection against the attacks of the WZ-120. After you encounter this vehicle, you should not expose yourself to unnecessary fire. The only moment at which the WZ-120 should be able to target you, is when you are about to destroy it.
- Just like the other Chinese medium tanks, the WZ-120 loses its tracks very easily - it is a good idea to shoot at the snub pulley or the drive sprocket to render it immobile, and finish it off with a subsequent salvo. Additionally, each effective direct hit is capable of damaging the engine, the ammo compartment or of setting the opponent on fire.