Leopard prototype A
10.5cm L7A1: penetration 268mm; damage 390
Hull: 70mm/35mm/25mm, turret: 52mm/60mm/60mm
1650 hit points
Top speed: 65km/h, engine: 830HP
Sniper, Medium range combat, support tank, passive scout
Leopard prototype A is another unique medium tank available for the Germans. This vehicle has practically no armor (70mm on tier IX often will not even protect you from high explosive shells) but instead, what is characteristic for it, is the high top speed and mobility - one of the highest in the game. Apart from that, the vehicle has been equipped with a modern 10.5cm L7A1 cannon, which deals large damage and is capable of piercing any armor in the game. Among the flaws of the Leopard prototype A, you should count a quite long aiming time and poor vertical angle of the cannon's movement, thanks to which, this tank is better suited for combat in open plains. The vehicle is very difficult to drive and I recommend it only for the most experienced players.
Development, equipment, crew
Start developing the Leopard PT A by unlocking a new 10.5cm L7A1 cannon, and then, the MTU MB 838 CaM 500engine. After that, you need to fit it with the missing modules by a new turret and suspension, then the radio.
Recommended equipment: shell rammer, vertical stabilizer, coated optics
Optional equipment: toolbox, camouflage net, binocular telescope, improved guiding system, improved ventilation
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms or camouflage for the entire crew.
The Leopard PT A has no armor which would protect it in any way, from the tanks it encounters. Only the shells aimed at the cannon armor may ricochet sporadically.
The ammo compartment is located in the front part of the hull (!), with the engine at the back. Several quick shots at the Leopard PT A are capable of blowing the tank up.
How to play...
...as the driver of the Leopard PT A?
- The Leopard PT A is one of the fastest tanks in the game, which allows it to take strategic points on the map.
- Thanks to the bug range of vision, the Leopard PT A, if equipped with binocular telescope, or coated optics, may detect the enemy vehicles before they spot you. Additionally, the vehicle has a high camouflage ratio, which makes it easier to conduct reconnaissance.
- The 10.5cm L7A1 cannon is one of the best cannons available for tier IX medium vehicles. It has a perfect accuracy and penetration value, and also deal high damage. Its downside is that it has long reload times and not the best vertical movement angle, which results in the Leopard PT A's preference for combat in plain areas.
- This tank does not have thick armor - each hit will deal damage and often wound the crew, or damage modules.
- Due to the low rate of fire, of the 10.5cm L7A1 cannon, and its susceptibility to damage, this tank should never take place in a frontal combat against the enemy. Its function is to shoot and hide to reload.
- The Leopard PT A is highly vulnerable to artillery fire - one direct hit is enough to turn this tank into a wreckage. It is necessary that you stay in hiding and use your camouflage . The commander's sixth sense is very useful here.
...against the Leopard PT A?
- Just like in the case of the remaining medium tanks, you constantly need to track their position on the ma and counteract their actions. In this case, the task is easier because the Leopard PT A is a quite big target that is susceptible to damage.
- The Leopard PT A does not have armor to speak of. If you spot the tank, you can easily discharge any weapon at it - in most cases, this deals damage to the tank.
- If you get the opportunity to, it pays off to attack the Leopard PT A up front, by firing at its glacis plate . Not only will the enemy not be able to deal damage to you, but also your chances that you destroy the ammo compartment, and blow the tank up, are high.
- The Leopard PT A is highly vulnerable to artillery ire. This big and poorly armored vehicle can be easily destroyed with one direct hit.