8.8cm KwK 43 L/71: penetration 203mm; damage 240
Hull: 100mm/60mm/40mm, turret: 120mm/60mm/60mm
1500 hit points
Top speed: 55km/h, engine: 700HP
Medium range combat, support tank, sniper
The Panther II is a direct descendant of the Pz.Kpfw. V Panther. This tank has an even thicker armor, a whole lot of health points, which puts it at a par with heavy tanks, and also a great 8.8cm KwK 43 L/71 cannon. Unfortunately, this vehicle still has the majority of its predecessor's flaws, like the modules that are susceptible to damage or the low mobility. The new cannon provides you with way more options in the battlefield - thanks to the nearly doubled damage, you can easily damage, or even destroy heavier tanks, and the penetration value of the cannon will allow you to pierce nearly any armor in the game. The Panther II is a perfect prelude for playing with the tier IX medium tank: E-50.
Development, equipment, crew
The development of the Panther II is to be started with mounting the 7.5cm KwK 45 L/100 cannon. The next step is developing a better suspension, which will allow you to use the Maybach HL 230 TRM P30 engine, which you have unlocked earlier (with the Pz.Kpfw.V Panther or the VK 30.02(M)). Now, you can improve on the turret and, finally, develop the ultimate 8.8cm KwK 43 L/71 cannon.
Recommended equipment: shell rammer, vertical stabilizer, improved guiding system
Optional equipment: toolbox, camouflage net, binocular telescope, improved ventilation
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew.
The shape of the glacis plate in the Panther II is the same as in the case of the Pz.Kpfw.V Panther. The 100mm thick steel plate, after being angled, is capable of repelling shells of, around, 175mm penetration value. The sides and the rear are, as always, vulnerable to fire.
The Panther II's turret is quite is quite resistant to direct hits. Its front plate is 120mm thick but, it is quite small, which results in most of the shells hitting the thick cannon armor, or the side armor inclined at a considerable angle: as a result, the shell will ricochet and you will deal no damage to the enemy. While attacking the turret, you need either to take a good aim, or target its sides or the back.
The ammo compartment is located at the back of the turret and directly under it; the engine, typically, at the back of the hull. Shots fired into the center of the lower glacis plate are capable of damaging the gearbox and setting the tank on fire.
How to play...
...as the driver of the Panther II?
- While driving the Panther II, you will be continuing the playing style that you have learned on the Pz.Kpfw. V Panther, i.e. a mobile sniper. Again, you receive a new cannon - the very effective 8.8cm KwK 43 L/71.
- The glacis plate (which is now 100mm thick) provides protection against cannons of lower tiers and, from time to time, it also repels shells fired from the IS or the KW-3 (especially if you angle the tank a bit). The improved turret provides good protection against enemy shells - the enemy shells will often ricochet off it.
- The feature characteristic for the 8.8cm KwK 43 L/71 cannon is its high armor penetration value and high damage. While using it (optionally, in combination with the premium shells) you will be able to pierce the front of most tanks that you encounter in the game; if you manage to flank the enemy, you will even be able to destroy the Maus or the E-100. The greatest flaw of this cannon is long focus time.
- The vehicle is quite big, due to which you may have problems hiding the hull from enemy fire. Due to the high-profile side plates of the Panther, you need to watch out for artillery fire.
- The charging Panther II can easily ram into lighter enemies and deal considerable damage to them.
- When it comes to this, thanks to the considerable number of health points, the Panther II can lead an onslaught on the enemy positions and take on several shots, which would destroy the damaged allies.
...against the Panther II?
- The lower tier vehicles should attack the Panther from the sides or from the back.
- The 8.8cm KwK 43 L/71 cannon is capable of damaging any tank, which is why, while fighting against the Panther II, you need to make sure that you have enough health points to defeat the enemy.
- In the case of exchange of fire with the Panther II, over a longer distance, it is necessary to have a cannon of the penetration value of 200mm, or higher and good accuracy. Otherwise, your enemy will defeat you without any problems.
- The Panther II does not deal the highest damage per minute, out of tier VIII tanks, but this does not mean that you can ignore it. The considerable pool of health points often allows it to defeat enemies of greater firepower.
- The sides of this vehicles are vulnerable to artillery fire. If you notice an immobile Panther II you can try destroying it with a well-aimed shot.