Pz.Kpfw. V Panther
7.5cm KwK 45 L/100: penetration 198mm; damage 135
Hull: 85mm/40mm/40mm, turret: 120mm/60mm/60mm
1300 hit points
Top speed: 55km/h, engine: 700HP
Sniper, Medium range combat, support tank
One of the legendary tanks of World War II and, unfortunately, a major disappointment. Just like the VK 30.02 (M) is a perfect frontline tank, the Panther is a vehicle that will have to avoid direct encounters with the enemy. The high accuracy and penetration value of the 7.5cm KwK 45 L/100 cannon, allows this vehicle to assume the role of the squad sniper. Unfortunately, low damage that the cal. 75mm cannon deals, means that most of the enemies that you attack will manage to retreat and hide behind a natural obstacle. Due to the poor armor and high susceptibility of modules to damage, this tank should avoid frontal fire exchange with the enemy. On the other hand, thanks to the big pool of health points, the Panther can lead an onslaught and take on several shells, which would otherwise destroy the other tier VII tanks.
Development, equipment, crew
The development of the Panther is straightforward. You start by unlocking and mounting a new 7.5cm KwK 45 L/100 cannon. Now it is down the slope: new suspension, the turret and all the modules that are mission (if you haven't unlocked them yet with the other tanks).
Recommended equipment: shell rammer, vertical stabilizer, improved ventilation
Optional equipment: toolbox, camouflage net, binocular telescope, improved guiding system
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew.
The Panther's glacis plate is identical with the on in the VK 30.02 (M). It is now 85mm thick, thanks to which, after you angle the vehicle, you will be able to repel shells of penetration value up to 150mm. The sides and the rear are, as always, vulnerable to fire.
The Panther's turret is quite resistant to impacts. Its front plate is 120m thick but quite small, and the majority of shells will hit either the thick cannon armor or the side armor, which is inclined at a considerable angle: as a result, the shell will ricochet and you will not be able to deal any damage to the enemy. While attacking the turret you need either to take a good aim, or target its sides or the rear.
The ammo compartment is located at the back of the turret and directly under it; the engine, typically, at the back of the hull. Shots fired into the center of the lower glacis plate are capable of damaging the gearbox and setting the tank on fire.
How to play...
...as the driver of the Pz.Kpfw. V Panther?
- The playing style with the Pz.Kpfw. V Panther is identical with the one in the case of the VK 30.02 (M). The only difference here is the cal. 7.5cm cannon, which will allow you to pierce the armor of the heavy tanks that you encounter.
- Your glacis plate ensures you with protection against low caliber canons. The improved turret provides reliable protection against enemy shells; the enemy shots will often ricochet off it.
- The 7.5cm KwK 45 L/100 cannon has a perfect accuracy, very good armor penetration value and medium rate of fire. It is good for attacking weak points of the enemy vehicles and, after being loaded with premium shells, it will pierce most of the heavy tanks that you encounter, from the front. Due to low rate of fire, you need to avoid frontal exchange of fire with the enemy.
- The vehicle is quite big, due to which you may have problems hiding the hull from enemy fire. Due to the high-profile side plates of the Pz.Kpfw. V Panther, you need to stay away from artillery fire. .
- The charging Pz.Kpfw. V Panther can easily ram into lighter enemies, which deals considerable damage.
- When it comes to that, thanks to the considerable amount of health points, the Pz.Kpfw. V Panther may lead onslaught on the enemy positions and take on several shells which would destroy your damaged allies.
...against the Pz.Kpfw. V Panther?
- Vehicles of lower tiers should attack the Pz.Kpfw. V Panther from the sides or from behind.
- The 7.5cm KwK 45 L/100 cannon, which the Pz.Kpfw. V Panther is equipped with, allows you to attack all of the heavy tanks that you encounter, from the front, apart from the E-75.
- I recommend against sniper duels with this vehicle, unless you have accurate cannons of the penetration value of 175mm, or higher. In this case, however, it is better to aim at the hull because the turret repels shells quite often.
- The Pz.Kpfw. V Panther deals quite low damage per minute. Most vehicles of tier VII, or higher, will have no problems while exchanging fire with this tanks.
- The sides of this tank are vulnerable to artillery fire. If you notice an immobile Pz.Kpfw. V Panther, you can try to destroy it with a well-aimed shot.