VK 30.01 (P)
8.8cm KwK 36 L/56: penetration 132mm; damage 220
Hull: 75mm/60mm/40mm, turret: 100mm/82mm/82mm
710 hit points
Top speed: 60km/h, engine: 670HP
Medium range combat, support tank, sniper
Another German medium tank prototype , the VK 30.01 (P), is a not too fortunate a construction. Its features are the small number of health points, poor acceleration and maneuverability, bulky construction, medium armor and a non-typical situation of the turret - which is situated at the front of the hull. To accompany all these shortcomings, this tank does not have too many strong points - the high top speed is useless in most cases and the armament does not stand out from the other tier VI vehicles. Unfortunately, if you are bent on unlocking the Tiger (P) or the Maus, you will have to play with this failed prototype .
Development, equipment, crew
The development of the VK 30.01 (P) is considered to be one of the longest, and the most difficult processes among tier VI vehicles. First of all, you are going to miss the mobility and firepower; unfortunately, both of these modules are quite expensive. I recommend that you first unlock the 8.8cm KwK 36 L/56 cannon, which will allow an interrupted exchange of fire with the other tier VI tanks. Now you can unlock the 2 x Porsche 2x Porsche Type 100/1 engine, which will ensure you with increased mobility. Another step is a new suspension and the turret. Now, you can mount the 7.5cm KwK 42 L/70 cannon, or stay with the 88mm cannon. After you have selected the armament appropriate for you, you can unlock all the other modules, as well as the Pz.Kpfw.VI Tiger (P) heavy tank.
Recommended equipment: shell rammer, improved guiding system, improved ventilation
Optional equipment: toolbox, camouflage net, binocular telescope
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew.
The hull of the VK 30.01 (P) is quite irregular in its shape : you can find here the elements that are easily damaged (the upper-front armor plate) as well as the ones that will reflect shells with quite irregular pattern (see: the screenshot). The heavily inclined fragments of the armor can often stop shells of the largest caliber, which is why, while shooting at this tank, it is better to position yourself at the right angle. Fortunately, this vehicle has one huge downside: the high and poorly armored sides. Each shot at its flank should deal damage to it.
The turret, when it comes to its shape, resembles the one seen in the Tigers - and unfortunately, it is similarly armored. The protection is resistant to impact and it will often save your tank from damage. The commander's cupola is a weaker point but, it is quite difficult to hit. This tank is best attacked from the side or from the back, where the turret is protected with just 82mm steel plate.
The ammo compartment is at the back of the turret and directly under it; the big engine which is easy to set on fire, is at the back of the hull.
How to play...
...as the driver of the of the VK 30.01 (P)?
- The characteristic feature of this tank is its high top speed, low acceleration and low maneuverability. Take advantage of this to take a good shooting position quickly, or to move around the map to provide support to the weaker fragments of the frontline.
- The 7.5cm KwK 42 L/70 cannon is accurate, has good armor penetration and moderate rate of fire. It is perfect for attacking weak points on the enemy vehicles. While using this cannon, you should avoid frontal exchange of fire with the enemy.
- The 8.8cm KwK 36 L/56 cannon deal much more damage with any shell, but it has worse armor-penetration ability, which will often make you use premium shells. This cannon is more effective over shorter distances and while attacking the enemy vehicles from the side and from the back.
- The VK 30.01 (P) turret is resistant to enemy fire, which allows it to use the hull down tactic. It is only the cannons of the tier VII vehicles that will be able to pierce it on the regular basis. The shells of the smaller tanks may ricochet, which will allow you to conduct accurate fire.
- Due to its bulk, you need to watch out for artillery fire. This vehicle is easy to hit and it is only as little as one shell that may destroy it.
...against the VK 30.01 (P)?
- The VK 30.01 (P), just like the majority of the medium tanks, will be trying to flank the enemy, before it starts conducting fire. You should prevent that from happening - thanks to that, you will save your artillery and ensure yourself with room to maneuver.
- While driving a lower tier tank, you should attack the enemy from the side or from behind. The VK 30.01 (P) turns quite slowly, which is why you will often succeed at the attempts to flank it and lay fire down on its weak hull.
- The tanks of higher tiers should be constantly angling the armor, or otherwise the
- VK 30.01 (P) driver, who uses the 7.5cm KwK 42 L/70 cannon, will be capable of piercing it in its weak points. In the case, in which the enemy uses the 8.8cm KwK 36 L/56 cannon, a 120mm of armor is enough to eliminate the damage completely. While responding with fire, aim at the hull and not the turret, unless you have no other choice.
- The VK 30.01 (P) deals quite low damage per minute. Heavy tanks and some of the medium tanks, tier VI up, are capable of winning frontal exchange of fire with this tank.
- This enemy is quite easy to set on fire - by shooting at the back of the hull, you can easily bring down its health points.
- The VK 30.01 (P) is highly vulnerable to artillery fire. One good shot can destroy this tank.