VK 30.01 (D)
7.5cm KwK 42 L/70: penetration 150mm; damage 135
Hull: 60mm/40mm/50mm, turret: 80mm/45mm/45mm
770 hit points
Top speed: 56km/h, engine: 700HP
Medium range combat, support tank, close combat
VK 30.01 (D) is a direct descendant of the Pz.Kpfw. III/IV. Just like its predecessor, it is a very swift vehicle of high mobility, equipped with good armor. Just like its predecessor, its armament is quite limited: again, you will have to use the cal. 75mm cannon. Among all German tier V medium tanks, this vehicle has the greatest horsepower to weight ratio, which is why it is best suited for the quick sojourns behind the enemy lines, or to circumvent the enemy's heavier vehicles. Its greatest shortcoming is that the damage it deals per minute is relatively low, which is why the target will often receive reinforcements before you manage to destroy him.
Development, equipment, crew
The development of the VK 30.01 (D) requires a lot of patience. You need to decide whether you prefer to increase your mobility, or to receive greater firepower. I would recommend that you decide on the latter and develop a new suspension, new turret with the 7.5cm KwK 42 L/70 cannon to follow - this will allow you to attack the enemy from the front side and operate in the second line. Now you can unlock new driving units, which will allow you to move around the map and operate as a flanking support tank.
Recommended equipment: shell rammer, improved guiding system, improved ventilation
Optional equipment: toolbox, camouflage net, binocular telescope, coated optics
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then, brothers in arms for the entire crew.
The hull's armament in the VK 30.01 (D) is similar to the one in the Pz.Kpfw.III/IV. The glacis plate protects you from tier IV vehicles' fire. The side armor was weakened, which is why you should never rely on it. The rear is a bit thicker, but still insufficient. You need to watch out for the lower-front (flat) part of the glacis plate - with the thickness of 100 mm, it is capable of making shells ricochet off it.
The turret in the VK 30.01 (D) is quite resistant to front-side fire. Thanks to the fact that it is narrow, many of the shells will ricochet off the side plates, which are inclined at considerable angle. The cannon's armor, although being thin, with the thickness of 80 mm, can also protect the vehicle from losing health points. The weakest point f the turret is its flat front plate, which can be pierced by, virtually, all tier IV vehicles.
The ammo compartment is located at the back of the turret and directly below it: the engine, typically at the back of the hull. Shots fired at the center of the bottom front armor plate can damage the gearbox and set the vehicle on fire.
The ammo compartment is located at the back of the turret and directly under it; the engine, typically, at the back of the hull. Shots fired into the center of the lower glacis plate are capable of damaging the gearbox and setting the tank on fire.
How to play...
...as the driver of the VK 30.01 (D)?
- Your vehicle is quite swift and mobile, which allows you to move around the map quickly, seize strategic positions and flank the enemy.
- The glacis place (and the turret) provide some level of protection against lower tier vehicles, however insufficient against larger-caliber shields.
- Thanks to the wide angle of the cannon's vertical inclination, this tank can attack from behind elevations.
- While fighting heavier enemies, take advantage of your mobility, to attack them from the sides, or from behind. You can easily circumvent single, slow targets.
- The 7.5cm KwK 42 L/70 cannon has a very high accuracy, good armor penetration value and average rate of fire. It is perfect against weak points of the enemy vehicles. While using this cannon, you should avoid frontal exchange of fire with the enemy.
- Thanks to the high maximum speed and good angle of vision, this tank can be used for scouting.
- This tank is quite swift and heavy, which allows it to ram into the smaller and lighter vehicles.
...against VK 30.01 (D)?
- Just like any other medium tank, the VK 30.01 (D) will be out and trying to flank its enemy before starting fire. You should prevent it from doing that - thanks to this, you will protect your artillery and ensure you with much room to maneuver.
- While driving a lower tier tank, your only chance against the VK 30.01 (D) is attacking an a group of several vehicles, and firing at the vulnerable sides and the rear of the enemy.
- The tanks of higher tiers should always incline the armor, or otherwise the VK 30.01 (D) driver will be able to pierce him through the weak points. You should also watch out for your sides and the back.
- The VK 30.01 (D) deals quite high damage per minute. The heavy, and some of the medium tanks from to tier VI up, are able to win the frontal fire exchange with this tank.
- This enemy is quite easy to set on fire - shoot at the engine and the gearbox.