7.5cm KwK 40 L/48: penetration 110mm; damage 110
Hull: 80mm/30mm/20mm, turret: 50mm/30mm/30mm
460 hit points
Top speed: 48km/h, engine: 440HP
Medium range combat, support tank
Pz.Kpfw. IV is an universal German medium tank, a counterpart of the Soviet T-34. The characteristic features of the vehicles are the poor armor, medium mobility and a wide selection of armaments. Depending on its equipment, it can it can be used to hunt for the enemy medium tanks (with the cal. 10.5 cm cannon) or to harass the enemy heavy tanks (in this case, use the 7.5 cm cannon). The Pz.Kpfw. IV may not be the best Tier V machine, but it is effective enough to decide about the outcome of a battle.
Development, equipment, crew
A brand new Pz.Kpfw.IV is a very weak tank of poor driving unit and armament. The first step should be to install a new cannon: 7.5cm KwK 40/L43, which will allow you to attack Tier V enemies. If you have developed the Pz.Kpfw.III medium tank, you will be able to mount the Maybach HL 120 TRM driving unit straight away. Otherwise, make this your next goal. Now, you can return to improving on the firepower. Ultimately, you will be using the 7.5cm KwK 40 L/48 cannon, or (after you have worked on suspension and the turret) the 10.5cm KwK 42 L/28.
Recommended equipment: shell rammer, improved guidance system, improved ventilation
Optional equipment: toolbox, Camouflage net, binocular telescope
Skills and perks: sixth sense for the commander, repair for the rest of the crew. Then Brothers in arms for the whole crew.
Apart from the armor on the front hull (of the thickness of 80mm), the Pz.Kpfw.IV has no considerable protection against the enemy fire. Both the turret and the back of the hull can be penetrated with any cannon available in the game.
The ammo stash is located at the back of the hull . Firing into the center of the lower-front armor plate can damage the gearbox and setting the tank on fire.
How to play...
...as a Pz.Kpfw.IV driver?
- In many respects, this vehicle is similar to the American M4 Sherman medium tank. Its features are good mobility and top speed, thanks to which it can move around the battlefield without problems and serve as a support for the endangered fragments of the frontline.
- By using the 7.5cm KwK 40 L/48 cannon, you can attack the enemy vehicles of the same, or a lower tier, as well as the side armor of a vehicle of the higher tier. Thanks to the high rate of fire, you are bring the enemy's health points down quickly.
- Do not ever get involved in a frontal exchange of fire with the tanks of the other nationalities - many of them deal more damage per minute and it will be able to defeat you.
- By using the 10.5cm KwK 42 L/28 howitzer, and premium ammunition, you are capable of destroying the tanks of the same and the lower tiers, in one shot: only the heavy tank requires two shots. Unfortunately, the effectiveness of this weapon drops against the enemies of the higher tiers.
- The vehicle is highly susceptible to damage. You need to watch out for every enemy, and especially for the vehicles that use a cal. 10.5cm or 122mm howitzer - if they hit your side armor, they can destroy you in one shot.
- Artillery is capable of destroying this vehicle in one salvo. It is recommended that you change positions often, to make it difficult for the enemy to get you.
...against the Pz.Kpfw.IV?
- If you move on a vehicle of the same, or lower tier, you should turn your attention to the enemy's armament. If he is using the 10.5cm howitzer (short barrel), it is necessary that you avoid being hit - one shell is enough to turn the tank into a wreckage. Attack the Pz.Kpfw.IV from the side, or from behind, whenever its turret is turned away.
- The vehicles of the higher tier should experience no difficulties against this tank. It does not pack sufficient firepower and has insufficient armor, to be of any major threat to you.
- You should watch out for the flanking Pz.Kpfw.IV. if you allow a free fire from this tank, at your allies, it can deal serious damage, or even decide about the outcome of the battle. The best strategy is to attack a spotted enemy straight away, because this tank is very easy to destroy.
- While playing as artillery, you can easily aim at the stationary Pz.Kpfw.IV. Usually, one shell is enough to destroy this vehicle.