122 mm BL-9: penetration 225mm; damage 390
Hull: 110mm/90mm/60mm, turret: 220mm/110mm/110mm
Maximum speed: 38km/h, engine: 700KM
Close combat, Medium range combat, support tank
IS-3 is the second tank of IS series, available in the game. It is typical tank, used in close combat and to break down enemy defensive positions. Good armor, high mobility, great cannon - all these elements combine together result in probably best 8 tier heavy tank. Mastering this vehicle to perfection is not easy, but fight with it gives lot satisfaction: vary often it is us who decide about course of battle.
Development, equipment, crew
When playing IS-3, we have two ways of development: if we can use the 122mm D-25T cannon, we should research ne turret first. But if this gun makes us troubles, we should decide to develop 122 mm BL-9 immediately. Once we have new cannon and the turret, we research other modules and tank IS-8.
- Preferred equipment: Gun/Shell Rammer, vertical stabilizer, Improved Ventilation.
- Optional equipment: Toolbox, Enhanced Gun Laying Drive
- Skills and Perks: Sixth Sense for Commander, Repair for the rest of the tankers. Then Brothers in Arms for the whole crew.
IS-3 is first tank in the game, which uses unusual shape of its front hull armor, so-called pike nose. Despite having only 110 mm of steel on the front, thanks to setting of the top front plate at natural angle, this tank doesn't have to be set at the angle during the fight - it is even not recommended. If we shoot at top plate "chicks", it is best to set our tank at the right angle and shoot the closer one. It is the only possibility to break through with the cannon of 175 mm penetration. Another weak point is bottom front plate. During the fight at 50-100 m distance, if our cannon hasn't at least 200 mm of penetration, we should attack that point. Sides of IS-3 are extremely resistant to fire! This tank owes the durability to the double armor. When shooting at top side plate we hit only 30 mm of steel and there is another 90 mm underneath, set at very high angle, thus attacks at that point can be only carried out with cannons of 225 mm penetration. If the side of IS-3 is set at angle to us, we never shoot it. Even strongest cannons can ricochet on it. Rear of the tank is very vulnerable to attack and there is an engine located under the armor. Ammo rack is located under the turret, thus by shooting from at front and aiming just above the soviet star on the front armor we are able to damage it. This is one of the biggest disadvantages of this vehicle.
The turret is almost indestructible from the front: 220 mm of armor set at high angle will rebound most of shots. In case when IS-3 "hugs" use, we can easily hit and penetrate its commander's cupola. Side armor of the turret is able sometimes to rebound shells, but in most cases it is easy to penetrate.
How to play...
...as a driver of IS-3?
- This tank is a king of close combat among 8 tier vehicles: super 122mm BL-9 cannon is able to regularly penetrate armors of most enemies, inflicting huge damage. Perfect armor protects us against many attacks and after setting it at the angle, led advanced players will only lose ammo shooting at our impenetrable sides.
- When fighting with lower tier tanks we should always play offensively and go to the close combat and even to "hug" the enemy. In such case our tank will always win one-on-one duel.
- When we attack same tier tanks, we have to play more carefully. We can engage in shoot for shoot fight: our high amount of HP and great damage can result in winning each such clash.
- When we fight with higher tier tanks, our vehicle becomes support machine. Our cannon can still damage each opponent from the front but our armor is not enough to fight them. We attack when opponent reloads and thanks to high mobility we attack from the flank or support our allies.
- Group of IS-3 can create a woolpack and then destroy enemy flank and surround his main forces. We should always remember that this tank is one of the fastest 8 tier heavy tanks.
- If we play with lower tier tank, we act as a support of another machine, flanking it or shooting at its rear. The front armor can be broke through only with cannons of 200 mm penetration.
- Playing with the same tier tank we can't go into shoot-outs. We have to use our rate of fire and keep damaging it. Another possibility is an attack on average or large distance, where less accuracy of IS-3 could be problematic for enemy.
- Driving the higher tier tank we still have to remember, that 122 mm BL-9 cannon is able to penetrate our armor. So we must set our machine at the angle and hide our weak points. When shooting at IS-3, it is enough to aim at its front and most shells will break through.
- Due to its low profile, IS-3 is hard to hit by artillery. If it is possible, shoot along its hull and not crosswise.