122 mm D-25T: penetration 175mm; damage 390
Hull: 120mm/90mm/60mm, turret: 100mm/100mm/100mm
Maximum speed: 34km/h, engine: 700KM
Close combat, support tank
IS (Iosif Stalin) is the first tank of this series, available for Soviet commanders. Although it is lighter and more mobile than KV-3, it has the same cannon and therefore it is forced to fights at short distance. IS's turret has cylindrical shape which rebounds many shells, but it lacks the thick cannon yoke, which would allow it "hugging" the enemy. Despite that, its increased mobility allows it to easy lean out from behind the cover, shoot and then hide for reloading. In addition, this tank is doing well during flanking enemy positions: it allows to attacks weaker sides, dealing large damage each time.
Development, equipment, crew
Assuming that our newly purchase tank has only one unlocked cannon, 122 mm D-25T, which comes from KV-1S, our first step should be researching a new turret and mounting the gun. After that we collect experience for other modules which increase our mobility (engine and suspension). We complete the research tree by developing missing cannons and tank IS-3.
- Preferred equipment: Gun/Shell Rammer, Enhanced Gun Laying Drive, Improved Ventilation.
- Optional equipment: Toolbox
- Skills and Perks: Sixth Sense for Commander, Repair for the rest of the tankers. Then Brothers in Arms for the whole crew.
IS is remarkably resistant vehicle and it can stand even hits from largest caliber cannons. Its hull is similar to one present in KV series: vulnerable bottom front plate, hard to break through middle plate and weak top front plate with weak point - driver sight. Sides and rear of the tank are as always vulnerable to fire and the engine and ammo rack are located in standard places.
IS's turret has rounded shape, so even strongest cannons won't penetrate it with the bad shot. If we have cannon with at least 160 mm, we can aim directly at cannon's yoke - most of shells should penetrate it. In addition, commander's cupola is very vulnerable target. Sides and rear of the turret are easy target for bigger caliber cannons.
How to play...
...as a driver of IS?
- Cannon 122mm D-25T is very inaccurate, thus driving this tank we strive to close combat. Shot at greater distance can be fired only at weakly armored targets.
- When shooting to better armored targets, such as PzKpfw VI Tiger (P), PzKpfw VIB Tiger II or IS-3, we have to aim at weak points of opponent. Due to the fact that we mostly fight at short distance that should be no problem.
- Since our armor protects us well against cannon of lower tier and we are on the top of the list of players, we can afford to charge directly at the enemy. After setting the tank at slight angle we will be impenetrable for enemies.
- In contrast to KV-3, we should never "hug" the enemy: our cannon's yoke is quite easy to penetrate and turret's durability is high only because its rounded shape, which rebounds badly aimed shots.
When fighting with higher tier tanks, we have to flank them, because our front armor won't provide us with adequate protection. The method is to fire a shot and then to take cover to reload.
- When playing with tank of lower tier, our only chance is to attack the hull from flank or rear. IS's front is impenetrable.
- When we play with same tier tank, the fight is more balanced. In most cases we should force IS to shoot-out, when we can win thanks to our rate of fire. We can't play shot-for-shot because we will certainly lose such clash.
- If we drive well armored higher tier tank, we can attack IS frontally. With well-set armor its cannon won't harm us and we will be able to penetrate it easily.
- IS is quite mobile tank and not always we can hit it with artillery. However, if opportunity arises, we should give it a try - a critical hit can eliminate it from the battle.