120 mm cannon M58: penetration 269mm; damage 400
Hull: 203mm/51mm/38mm, turret: 127mm/127mm/51mm
Maximum speed: 34km/h, engine: 860KM
Close combat, Medium range combat, sniper, support tank
M103, American 9 tier heavy tank, is a giant leap in quality compared to two previous machines. This vehicle is very maneuverable and has good relation between engine and its weight, so it accelerates quite well. Its hull has been significantly strengthened from the front and weakened on sides and rear. Bigger turret has weaker armor than the one from T32, but thanks to rounded shape it can rebound many shells on its front. Inside the turret we have one of the best cannons in the game: 120mm M58 - this gun is capable to penetrate all tanks in the game even on very long distance. This tank is ideal for both keeping the line as well as breaking the flank and raids behind enemy lines. Platoon consisting of 3 M103 is very mobile and dangerous enemy, able to change fate of the battle.
Development, equipment, crew
First and most important module to research is new cannon, 120 mm T122 - without it we will have to use 105mm T5E1, which is not adequate for this tier vehicle. Since M103 can have new turret without changing the suspension, we should develop it later and then collect experience for 120mm M58 cannon. Next step is researching the engine, after that we develop suspension and a radio as a last thing.
- Preferred equipment: Gun/Shell Rammer, vertical stabilizer, Improved Ventilation.
- Optional equipment: Binocular Telescope, Toolbox, Camouflage Net, Enhanced Gun Laying Drive
- Skills and Perks: Sixth Sense for Commander, Repair for the rest of the tankers. Then Brothers in Arms for the whole crew. If we intend to use this tank for longer, it is worth to invest into: Snap Shot, Smooth Ride and other skills which increase our efficiency in eliminating enemy vehicles.
Unlike T29 and T32, M103 has more resistant hull. Hit at its central part (weld) ricochets often. Top plate is less resistant but set at high angle, thus shells will ricochet there too. The most vulnerable point on M103 hull is bottom front plate - it can be penetrated by almost every cannon, so good driver should know that it must be protected.
Turret of M103 is less armored than in T29 or T32. The given value is 127 mm, but cannon's yoke is so thick that even 270 mm of penetration is not enough to regularly break through it. Unfortunately M103 has several clearly visible weak points. Both, the commander's cupola and armor around the yoke can be penetrated with 7 tier cannons.
Attacking M103 from sides we got one big practice shooting target: both, the hull and the turret can be easily penetrated if this tank gets flanked. The same situation is with rear attacks. Location of ammo rack and engine is same as in other American tanks.
How to play...
...as a driver of M103?
- This tank is doing well in many different roles and can fight at all available distances: it works as a sniper, shoots well at medium distance if we protect its hull and is phenomenal in one-on-one clashes.
- Thanks to its mobility, we can easily support medium tanks or create wolfpacks with mobile heavy tanks. M103 has no problem in flanking main enemy forces or carry out rallies behind enemy lines.
- In the fight at medium or short distance we should always turn the turret in our enemy directions and keep moving. Thanks to that he won't be able to shoot our weak points.
- If we are forced to stationary defensive, it is always worth to set the tank at slight angle. M103 has very thick tracks, which can take much hits, thus protecting us against losing HP.
- This vehicle is very vulnerable to artillery fire. If we do not have any cover, like ruins for example, we have to keep moving.
- If the enemy drives frontally to us to force us to fight at short distance, it is worth to break his tracks and then focus on him fire from several tanks. M103 is perfect in one-on-one fights but group of opponents attacking him from different directions is able to quickly destroy him.
- If we do not have clear advantage in HP and cannon's caliber, we do not fight alone with M103. This machined is designed for such clashes and easily wins most of them. If we are forced to such duel, never shoot at tracks set at the angle - always attack the bottom front plate.
- These vehicles are very dangerous in groups. When fighting them we have to focus on each vehicle alone and destroy it. M103, which escapes even with few HP left, can easily withdraw and carry out sniper fire.
- If our self-propelled guns have clear shot, they should try to hit it. Artillery shells inflict huge damage to M103, often damaging its modules and injuring the crew.