12,8cm KwK 44 L/55: penetration 246mm; damage 490
Hull: 200mm/185mm/160mm, turret: 240mm/210mm/210mm
Maximum speed: 30km/h, engine: 1750KM
Medium range combat, fight in close combat
Maus is the second German 10 tier heavy tank. It is even slower and better armored than E-100, but it lacks the cannon choice. This vehicle works as a mobile bunker and its main task is to carry out the attacks along with support guaranteed by other vehicles. So far its armor was almost not penetrable by enemy cannons, unless they shoot at the right angle. Unfortunately, with the proliferation of the artillery and new cannons of 270 mm penetration, hard times for this vehicle came. Maus can still influence the tide of battle, especially in city fights, among ruins and narrow streets.
Development, equipment, crew
Maus from the very beginning has elite status.
- Preferred equipment: Gun/Shell Rammer, vertical stabilizer, Improved Ventilation.
- Optional equipment: Toolbox, Enhanced Gun Laying Drive
- Skills and Perks: Sixth Sense for Commander, Repair for the rest of the tankers. It is also worth to train Preventative Maintenance and clutch braking.
Front armor of Maus is very resistant to damage, but same as with E-100, it has several weak points. The most important is bottom plate between tracks - most of 9 and 10 tier cannons is able to penetrate it, even if it is set at the slight angle. Like in other German tanks, critical hit at this point sets the vehicle on fire. Top front plate can be penetrated by shooting at the right angle with cannons of minimum 250 mm penetration, so even during the close combat Maus's driver has to remember about setting the machine at the angle. The last vulnerable point of the tank is front of its turret: well-aimed shot with cannon of 250 mm penetration is able to break through, so after firing it is worth to set the turret at alight angle to increase effective thickness of the armor.
When attacking the tank from the side we should aim at the top half of the hull, because its lower part is protected by double armor. It is better not to risk shooting the turret side, because it has natural decline and effective armor thickness is more than given 210 mm.
How to play...
...as a driver of Maus?
- During the fight at medium distance we have to remember about setting our tank at angle, hiding our bottom front plate and moving the turret after each shot.
- While looking for the place to shoot from, we choose areas protected from artillery fire and also terrains, where enemy can't flank us. With such settings Maus is very tough enemy to destroy.
- When shooting at the enemy, we have to aim at its weak points. Unfortunately the only available cannon has not enough penetration value to shoot only at the whole silhouette of the opponent.
- One we make enough advantage on given fragment of the frontline, it is worth to initiate an attack. Maus supported by other 9 and 10 tier tanks is very hard to stop.
- Never move alone.
- Same as with E-100, isolation of Maus from the rest of its team makes it very easy target.
- Penetration of 12,8cm KwK 44 L/55 cannon is so poor that without aiming at weak points of Maus's armor, its shells will often ricochet. So just keep moving to prevent the enemy from good shot.
- Artillery and enemy Maus are made for each other. Damaged tracks on the open field usually mean one Maus less.