PzKpfw VI Tiger (P)
8,8cm KwK 43 L/71: penetration 203mm; damage 240
Hull: 200mm/80mm/80mm, turret: 120mm/80mm/80mm
Maximum speed: 35km/h, engine: 670KM
Sniper, fight in close combat
Although PzKpfw VI Tiger (P) is a close relative of PzKpfw VI Tiger, there are several major differences between these two. First of all, it is far more resistant than his cousin, thanks to 200 mm of steel protecting its front. Second - it has unique silhouette among German tanks, with turret put forward. Unfortunately it has worse engine, so it is less maneuvering, making it more vulnerable for flank attacks. Just as PzKpfw VI Tiger, it is perfect sniper - has the same cannon and sights, but thanks to better armor is much more difficult to be destroyed after detection. Thicker front plate and extended turret has another advantage: it allows Tiger (P) to fight in a close combat, in narrow streets, when situation needs it. This tank, when it is supported by several other machines, guarding its sides, is able to lead an assault on enemy fortified positions, even against higher tier tanks. The biggest drawback it is poor mobility: single PzKpfw VI Tiger (P) is quite easy target.
Development, equipment, crew
A path to PzKpfw VI Tiger (P) leads through VK 3001 (P), where we should have already researched 8,8cm KwK 35 L/56 cannon and 2x Porsche Type 100/3 engine. In order to install additional modules we have to research first a new suspension and after that we invest in 8,8cm KwK 43 L/71 cannon. Despite the fact, that this gun is not required to research the new tank, I suggest mounting it: it not only increases rate of fire of our gun, but also adds 100 HP and it is armored enough to stand shot of some 8 tier tanks fired at low angle.
- Preferred equipment: Gun/Shell Rammer, Enhanced Gun Laying Drive, Improved Ventilation.
- Optional equipment: Binocular Telescope, Toolbox, Camouflage Net
- Skills and Perks: Sixth Sense for Commander, Repair for the rest of the tankers. Then Brothers in Arms for the whole crew.
Although PzKpfw VI Tiger (P) has given thickness 200 mm on the front, its armor is very mixed. Attacking it from the front we should avoid aiming at the central plate, because it's able to rebound even shells of higher tier guns. Top plate, with machine gun stand and driver's sight, can be shot but only when the tank is at right angle to us - otherwise shell can ricochet. The best point to attack is front plate and slanted top front plate elements, which connect it with side armor. These points can be penetrated even with the 5 tier tanks, such T-34 or PzKpfw IV. If we're attacking the turret, we should fire at commander's cupola, because front also rebounds many hits. When we get the enemy from the flank, this tank suddenly becomes quite weak opponent - almost each shot can penetrate it. By aiming at the rear part of the hull we can hit the engine and set Tiger (P) on fire.
How to play...
...as a driver of PzKpfw VI Tiger (P)?
- Same as with PzKpfw VI Tiger we use terrain obstacles to increase our chances. If we place out machine at low angle to opponents, it becomes almost invulnerable to tanks on the same tier.
- We fight at medium distance, as a second line tank, reacting actively on changes of the front line. We counter-attack once our lines are broke down.
- If we're at the top of the vehicles in the battle, we can fight in close combat. Although several other tanks should cover our sides and rear.
- Avoid rallies on the open field. Although our tank has a tough front, artillery can deal with it with no problems: without any cover we're quite slow and little maneuvering target.
- When fighting with higher tier tanks, we place our front armor at the angle and fire at sides or weak points of enemy.
...against PzKpfw VI Tiger (P)?
- If we have 7 tier tank (or less), do not go into sniper shoot-outs. Tiger (P) is deadly weapon at longer distance.
- At short distances, when we attacking from the front, try to fire at weak points. At 100 m distance we are able to hit and penetrate its lower plate.
- Flank it whenever it is possible. Tiger (P) is not very maneuverable and hits at its rear often set it on fire. If we attack it from the side, we can block it so it can't rotate.
- On the open field, we use the artillery against it. High profile makes it an easy target to be hit from the side and inflict entire damage.