After playing through several missions in World War Z, most players will gain the necessary experience to make the regular missions easy - the enemies will not be much of a challenge, the team will not run out of ammo or items. Fortunately, there is a mechanic that allows the players to choose the difficulty level of the missions - from this chapter you will learn how to do that.
Available difficulty levels
There are five difficulty levels available in the game. Those are:
- Easy - the difficulty level every player starts at. Every player in the team starts with a medkit, the zombie threat is severely reduced and friendly fire is limited. This is the recommended difficulty level for starting players - before you reach around level 5.
- Normal - on this difficulty level, the players still start with medkits, however the zombies are more of challenge and the friendly fire is increased. The recommended level to start playing at this difficulty is 5.
- Hard - the first difficulty level on which the players start without medkits. Zombies are more dangerous, friendly fire becomes a problem and the amount of supplies spread around the map is decreased. The recommended level to start playing at this difficulty is 15.
- Very Hard - the difficulty level bringing several changes. The zombies are even deadlier, friendly fire can take out large portions of allies' health and the supplies are even scarcer on the map. Additionally, the player character will die instantly after only 2 incapacitations. The recommended level to start playing at this difficulty is 20.
- Insane - the highest difficulty level available at the moment. Zombies are relentless, friendly fire is deadly to allies, there are even less supplies located on the map. Characters die after only 1 incapacitation. The recommended level to start playing at this difficulty is 25.
Note - higher difficulty levels increase the amount of experience points and Supplies you earn for completing them.
How to change the difficulty level?
Difficulty level can be changed at the episode selection screen. Press the button shown in the upper left corner of the screen to bring up a new window - from there you will be able to choose the desired difficulty level.
Note - difficulty level cannot be changed during the mission, only while in the menu.
To sum up, we present a handful of tips regarding the difficulty level system:
- Do not play on difficulties you cannot handle. Playing a character level 1 on an Insane difficulty just because you can is a bad idea. The game will be too difficult for your character and other people from your team will have a harder (and more annoying) time as well.
- Do not stick too tightly to the recommended levels of difficulties. A player using a low-level class can do well up to Hard mode - provided that he/she is experienced with the game and knows what to do. Higher difficulty levels should be handled with more experienced classes.
- Sometimes playing on a harder difficulty level might not be the most effective approach. Finishing a mission on higher difficulty level requires more time - in some cases it is better to finish 2 missions on Hard than to struggle with a single one on Insane.
- Higher difficulty levels offer bigger experience and Supplies' rewards. The higher the difficulty level, the more points and money you will receive for completion of the mission.