The game is a typical RTS. In every mission, we are starting with the typical basic level, and from there we will have to construct new buildings as well as units. It is important to know that there are visible differences between races when it comes to structures/units and their abilities, but everything is based on the same system. You must also know that every army has different tactics of fighting; some have strong but slow units, while other army's units are faster but less strong.
This is worth to know:
On every map, there is a limit of formations. With the default engine it usually looks like this:
- 3-5 builders
- 4-8 infantry squads
- 4-7 vehicle units
There are certain mods that are using custom settings for this.
- The Necrons are the best and most easy race for beginners.
- Defense and attack bonuses depends on an unit's morale level.
- To unlock super weapons and special units, you must have a control point and a relic.
- To get information about a specific upgrade/unit and its ability, just move the cursor over the icon to see a full description.
- Infantry units that are in water will have weaker defense and will do less damage against enemy units.
- Infantry units that are in craters will receive a defense bonus.
- In the campaign, the enemy will receive more units and their units will have more hit points than usual if the difficulty is set higher than Standard.
- To construct buildings, train units and research upgrades, you need resources (as in most RTS games). To gain energy, build generators; to gain requestion points, capture control points -and build listening posts on them to gain even more.
- You need to have the regular Warhammer 40.000 Dawn of War as well as its expansions - Winter Assault and Dark Crusade- installed in order to have all of the races available in online battles.
- Select units/buildings and press Ctrl+1-9 to assign them to a group. Then you will be able to select them quickly by simply pressing that number on your keyboard.
- Click left mouse button on the upgrade/recruit icon in order to turn on the automatic mode. It works perfectly for purchasing new squad members.