This page of the guide to Void Bastards focuses on what happens when your character dies. This game has some features specific to roguelike productions - death does not necessarily have to mean the end of the game.
What happens after losing a character?
In Void Bastards, death doesn't mean a return to the last checkpoint. Death is permanent. After your character dies, you will get a new prisoner and continue your journey through the nebula. The game will save most of the progress - you don't have to start from scratch.
The above rules have two exceptions:
- Heart Starter can bring the character back to life. This item is described in more detail on a separate page of the guide.
- If you chose Ironman difficulty mode, you won't be able to continue the game after the death of the "starting" character.
The game will "draw" a new prisoner and assign them a standard supplies package.
The How to start with more supplies? page contains information on how to get more items when you are "switching" to a new prisoner after the death of the previous character.
What does the game save when I die, and what is lost?
The game can remember the following things:
- All crafted weapons and gadgets. None of these items need to be produced a second time.
- Collected parts and materials for crafting. You will not lose a single crafting material.
- Progress in story quests. Even if a quest was only completed partially (for example, you collected 1 part of the 2 necessary), you can resume it without repeating the previous steps.
The game doesn't remember the following things:
- Accumulated stocks of food, fuel, credits, ammunition, and gadgets. The new prisoner will receive only a basic supply pack.
- Traits unlocked by the previous prisoner. A new character starts with one random trait.
- The exact position of S. T. E. V. ship on the galaxy map. The new prisoner begins their journey on the Void Ark field. The campaign day count won't be reset.