On this page of the Valheim guide, you will find information about the Black Forest biome. You will learn more about the resources and enemies found here.
The Black Forest is the second biome you will encounter while exploring the world. It is much more dangerous than the Meadows. The threat is higher, but you will also find more valuable resources. You can also encounter a lot of underground locations that you can explore.
The Black Forest is a good source of timber, tin, and copper. You will also find many types of plants that have practical uses.
There are a total of five tree species in this biome:
- Beech - its occurrence in this biome depends on the specific area. Provides a source of regular wood (20 units total). You will cut them down with a regular stone axe;
- Birch - this tree type is rather rare. You will get 20 units of common and fine wood (in random proportions). To cut down this type of tree, you need at least a bronze axe;
- Pine - its occurrence in this biome depends on the specific area. Provides a source of regular and core wood (a total of 30 units in random proportions). You will cut them down with a stone axe;
- Fir - occurs rather frequently. Gives regular wood. You will cut them down with a stone axe;
- Oak - a very rare type of tree. It gives you 50 units of common and fine wood (proportions are random). To cut them, down you need at least a bronze axe.
In this biome, you will find the following plants:
- yellow mushrooms;
- Carrot flowers (you can harvest seeds from them);
Creatures and animals
There are few friendly animal species in the Black Forest. These include deer, ravens and gulls. You can hunt them for meat and skins (or feathers). However, you will encounter more hostiles.
The list of aggressive creatures is as follows:
- Boar - an aggressive animal that can be domesticated. This enemy is weak and can be easily defeated. Kill them to obtain raw meat, leather scraps, and possibly a trophy;
- Greydwarf - a fairly common enemy. It uses melee attacks or can throw rocks. They can be easily killed with even a basic stone axe. They drop resin, wood, stone, Greydwarf Eye, and Greydwarf Trophy;
- Greydwarf Shaman - a strong opponent that usually moves at night in a group with the regular Greydwarfs. It spits a toxic substance that deals minor damage for a limited time and can regenerate enemies; Greydwarf Brute drops resin, wood, stone, Greydwarf eye, and ancient seed;
- Greydwarf Brute - a strong melee unit. Defeat them using a bow. Greydwarf Brute drops resin, wood, stone, Greydwarf eye, and ancient seed;
- Troll - a powerful opponent that can kill you with two hits. It is often equipped with a club, and the power of its attack can crush ore and cut down trees. The safest way to fight it is from a distance using a bow. After defeating a troll, you will obtain hide, coins, and possibly a trophy.
- Skeleton - a moderately strong opponent. They often walk around the entrances to the undergrounds. After killing it, you will obtain bone fragments.
- Draugr - humanoid creatures with a fairly large number of attacks. They can fight at close and long distances. They are often found around abandoned villages. After defeating it, you will receive entrails from which you can make sausage.