What doesn't kill you, gives you XP Valheim guide & walkthrough contains Beginner's Guide and best tips for crafting, building, exploration, biomes, animals, resources and combat. Find out how to beat all bosses. System requirements, cheats and controls/keybinds.
Last update: Tuesday, February 16, 2021
This unofficial guide to Valheim contains information regarding this unusual survival game. Thanks to it, you'll be able to deal with problems that often appear while exploring the Viking nether world.
The guide has been divided into four parts. The first part is dedicated to explaining basic gameplay mechanics, such as crafting, obtaining food, constructing buildings, or exploration.
The second part is an FAQ section that offers answers to the questions that may arise during the game. If you're wondering how to, e.g. find a fishing rod, how to tame a boar, or what happens to your equipment after you die, check out this part of the guide.
The third part is a world atlas. Here, you'll find the locations of all bosses that can be encountered in Valheim along with tips on how to defeat them. We've also added descriptions of biomes appearing in the game.
The final part is an appendix that lists the system requirements, controls, and cheats. You will also check the available language versions.
- Valheim: Beginner tips
- Valheim: Basics
- Valheim: FAQ
- Valheim: Bosses
- Valheim: Biomes
- Valheim: PC system requirements
Valheim: Beginner tips
- Don't forget about food - even if you cannot die from hunger, food is an important part of the game, as it affects how many health points your character has. The amount of received HP depends on the type of the meal and accumulates along with the total amount of consumed food.
- Have storage space for everything - the game has numerous types of items that you'll gather as you play. Unfortunately, the carrying capacity of your character is limited. This is why you should have chests that will store your loot. To avoid getting lost, have separate chests for different types of items.
- Explore your surroundings cautiously - you'll encounter many different types of opponents when exploring the map. When exploring, don't get too cocky and constantly watch your surroundings for incoming enemies. This way, you'll lower the risk of meeting potentially dangerous entities.
- Gather all encountered resources - new crafting blueprints are learned by gathering resources needed to produce them. Therefore, pick up every new resource that you encounter along the way. This way, you'll be able to craft more and more advanced items.
- Make use of trolls - aside from bosses, trolls are one of the most powerful opponents. Even though their attacks are deadly, these creatures can be immensely useful. Their attacks can cut down trees or mine metals. All you have to do is to lure it to the desired spot and provoke it to attack.
More starting tips can be found on a separate page of the guide – Beginner tips.
- Day 1 - how to survive?
- Metal mining and smelting
- Character development
- Inventory management
- All armors
- Gestures, Emotes
- Indoor fire
- Trophies - what are they for?
- Mead - how to produce it?
- Core wood - how to get it?
- Ancient Seeds - how to get them?
- Fine wood - how to get it?
- Black metal scraps - how to get them?
- Ancient bark - how to get it?
- Guck - how to get it?
- Ooze - how to get it?
- Needle - how to get it?
- Barley - how to get it?
- Flax - how to get it?
- Cloudberries - how to get them?
- Dragon egg - how to get it?
- Bloodbag - how to get it?
- Freeze gland - how to get it?
- Entrails - how to get it?
- Turnip seeds - how to get them?
- Surtling core - how to get it?
- Obsidian - where to find it?
- Terrain - how to level?
- Tin - where to find it?
- Chitin - how to get it?
Crafting and equipment
- Items and buildings - how to repair them?
- Stack of items - how to separate?
- Inventory space - can it be increased?
- Weight capacity - how to increase it?
- Antler pickaxe - how to unlock it?
- Stagbreaker - how to unlock?
- Cart - how to create and use it?
- Workbench - how to upgrade?
- Fishing rod - how to get it?
- Silver - how to find it?
- Iron Sledge - how to unlock it?
Exploration and survival
- Death - how to recover items?
- Meat - how to cook it?
- How to catch fish?
- Boars - how to tame them?
- Buried treasure - how to find it?
- Seeds - how to use them?
- The world - how is it generated?
- Death - what are the causes?
- Vendor seed - how to connect?
- How to stop enemies from spawning?
- Which weapon is the best?
- Poison resistance - how to obtain it?
- Dandelion - where to find it?
- Queens jam - how to make it?
- Valuables - where to find them?
- Mountain frost - how to survive?
- Base camp - how to build?
- Haldor the Merchant - where to find him?
- Swamp Key - what is it for?
- The Deathsquito - how to defeat it?
- Serpent - how to defeat it?
- Palisade and defensive fortifications - what are they for?
Valheim: PC system requirements
- Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit
- CPU: Dual Core 2.6 GHz
- RAM: 4 GB
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (1 GB)
- HDD space: 1 GB
The PC specifications listed above are the minimum requirements to run the game. More information about Valheim's system requirements can be found on a separate page of the guide – System requirements.
About Valheim Guide
Author : Agnieszka "aadamus" Adamus for gamepressure.com
Translator : Mateusz "Ictius" Sawka
last update : February 16, 2021
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
Valheim Video Game
- genre: Action
- developer: Iron Gate Studio
- publisher: Coffee Stain Publishing
- platform: PC
More About Valheim
Best Games of 2021 - The Ultimate List of Best Video Games Released
This isn't a summary yet, but our list of this year's best PC and console games that you can already play in 2021. We present the titles which are worth paying attention to, because maybe they will fight for the GOTY title at the end of the year.
Best survival games 2022 | TOP 25
The best survival games where you will collect resources, build shelters and try to survive in the jungle, outer space, underwater and during the zombie apocalypse.
10 Indie Games That Outsold AAA Hits
AAA games aren't the only ones selling millions of copies. The list of indie games that have achieved huge success shows that a good idea and a pinch of luck can make your game a smash hit, regardless of the budget.
Best Open-World Games You Can Play In 2021
Open worlds and single player sandboxes are a great way to lose 100 hours out of your life. Here are the best open world games you can play in 2021 on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox and Switch.