Gold in Total War: Three Kingdoms is the most important raw material through which the player (and other factions) will be able to function and survive in any way. Gold is used to construct buildings and hire new units. Also, it is used to pay costs of your state and settlements every turn. Actually it is used to maintain everything in the right order, just like in the real world with money that we use today. For this reason, it is worth reading this section in order to know the ways of obtaining gold and how to minimize its losses.
Gold - basic information
As noted in the introduction, gold is used in the Kingdom for almost everything. Starting with the creation of a new army, hiring generals and their respective units, raising structures within the commandery and their subsequent expansion. It is also useful in trade to get additional "moves" from another faction, or to get in exchange for other benefits - territories, influence or the ability to obtain vassals. Gold is represented by two indicators - storage, that is the level of gold that is currently in the possession of each faction, as well as its growth rate that is counted by every turn. It is worth noting that the amount of gold per turn can take a positive or negative value depending on the faction's expenditures.
How to increase the growth of gold?
To increase the amount of gold and get it more each turn, you can use several actions such as:
- Taking control over another commanderies - each commandery allows you to erect buildings that manufacture goods, and therefore generating a steady income. But it is worth remembering that the control of too many commanderies is associated with an increase in corruption - this topic was described in a separate chapter of this guide.
- Construction and modernization of buildings within the commandery. Many buildings allow to generate gold to a greater or lesser extent, or offer a percentage premium that increases the growth from other sources.
- Positions at court. Most positions on the Court and especially Administrators can increase the volume of obtained gold.
- Trade - trade makes it possible to produce and extract large quantities of gold, whether through commercial pacts or the exchange of food or items.
- Reforms - a very large number of reforms allows you to receive a global (affecting the whole faction, not individual commanderies) bonus to gold from a specific source.
- Accepting another faction as a vassal - when another faction becomes your vassal, you will receive a portion of your income per turn.
- Raising taxes in commandery. If you have a high increase in public order, you can try to raise the level of taxes. To do this, activate the default Treasury screen by pressing "7" key, where you may find the corresponding slider.
As you can see, there are a lot of ways to get gold, and there is always an option to squeeze a few extra gold coins per turn.
How to reduce costs?
In addition to increasing the growth of gold every turn, you also need to know how to reduce costs and the systematic loss of this valuable resource. This can be done as follows:
- Reduce corruption. Corruption is another factor no. 1 when it comes to absorbing gold in the Kingdom. It is impossible to get rid of it completely. It can be reduced through appropriate reforms, the construction of specific buildings, or holding a position at the Court. Slower your expansion - instead of conquering the next territory, you can take another faction as a vassal.
- The reduction of the army. It may sound strange, but sometimes supporting too large army may just be beyond the power and funds of the Kingdom. It is worth to try to remove the whole army, and not just 1-2 units of 5-6 army - 5 fully-equipped and developed armies would be more efficient than 6, where one is lacking 2 squads.
- Lay off a few significant characters. Presence of a significant number of spies or Court characters can be tempting - it gives a lot of space and allows you to conveniently change people in these positions but it creates great costs.
As you can see, in the further part of the game, reducing costs will be carried out mainly by reducing the level of corruption in the Kingdom.