In this chapter of our Total War Saga Troy you can find important information about the Envoys & Emissaries, as well as information about Epic Emissaries: what their types are, what their role is and how to recruit them.
While playing a story campaign in Total War Saga Troy you don't have to use your own army to expand your empire, conquer more settlements or even take over entire provinces. As a leader, you can also use the services of versatile emissaries. The game features three basic types of emissaries, and each has a different role to play in the settlement, on the campaign map, or before the battle begins. In addition to these, you can also get access to epic emissaries in the Total War Saga Troy, which provide some unique and special services.
Types and roles
Each envoy has its own passive and additional active skills that can be used on the campaign map, in the village or before the battle begins. In the Total War Saga Troy, there are three basic types of emissaries / envoys that you can hire:
- Spies - increase the field of view of the army, reduce the opponent's chance of spying in your province, can speed up the recovery of your army, and also weaken the opponent's Garrison by, for example, poisoning the water in the well;
- Priestesses - they are loyal to a particular god or goddess. Priestesses can increase the satisfaction of the population in a particular region, increase the grace and favor level of a specific God in a settlement depending on the temple built (a randomly chosen God if there is no temple in the settlement), lower the morale of the enemy army, completely deprive the enemy agent of the possibility of movement in the next turn, and perform a ritual before the battle that will have a positive effect on your army and, for example, increase the morale of the army;
- Dignitaries - can reduce the cost of maintaining an army, speed up resource extraction in a specific region, increase your influence in a chosen settlement, reduce the range of movements of an enemy army, reduce the range of movements of hostile agents, and even injure or kill them.
Types and their roles
Epic envoys are a unique type of agents who have a huge impact on the campaign in Total War Saga Troy. Access to Epic Envoys can be gained by the mechanics of Divine Will. Epic Envoys and Emissaries include:
- Gorgons - can passively restrict the movements of an enemy Hero in a region, severely damage the enemy garrison, and also lower the morale of the enemy army and its speed of movement during the battle as well as reduce the range of movement of enemy army on the campaign map;
- Satires - can passively increase the growth and satisfaction of the population in a particular region, immediately complete the construction of all buildings in a selected settlement, and reduce the morale of the enemy army;
- Seers - can passively provide experience in each round to all your heroes and agents in the region. Seers can also increase the level of worship of a specific God in a chosen settlement by raising the points of favor to the maximum. After the recruitment of a Seer, you will receive a divine order which requires you to transport this unit to the territory of a specific region within a few rounds. For completing this mission, your epic hero will receive up to 3,000 experience points.
You can use an epic envoy during a limited number of turns. Once the emissary performs the action he was ordered to do, he will leave your hero. Then, you have to recruit another epic unit to reuse his/her skills.
How to recruit?
In order to be able to start recruiting ordinary envoys and epic envoys you will have to build a certain building or get an appropriate level of God worship by using the mechanics of the Divine Will. Here's how to recruit individual envoys:
- Spies - you get access to these envoys after you construct a wine bar;
- Priestesses - you get access to these envoys after you construct an altar;
- Dignitaries - you get access to these envoys after you build a Megarodon;
- Epic envoys and emissaries - you must achieve the maximum level of worship of a particular God or Goddess: Gorgons (emissaries of Athena), Satyrs (emissaries of Aphrodite), Seers (emissaries of Apollo).
Once you meet any of the above conditions, you will be granted access to the recruitment of epic envoys or standard envoys. Click on a specific settlement, then click on the Recruit an Envoy button, which has been highlighted in the above picture. A new window will pop up - you can choose between available envoys and decide which one you want to recruit. To recruit an envoy you have to pay with resources and gold.