This page of our guide to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 has starting tips. You will learn about a number of important gameplay elements that will help you get into the game. This page is dedicated to new players who have not yet played the games from this series. However, if you have played older versions and want to remember how to play, this page will help you, too.
- Game Mods
- Focus on easier challenges
- Go back to previous maps
- Don't be afraid to repeat the levels
- Check out the controls
- Don't give up
Let's start with the basics - don't be afraid to play the tutorial. It has a lot of valuable information. You learn basic tricks, create your first combos, and learn how to navigate a map.
The tutorial consists of 15 parts. Each of them activates when you reach a certain point. This way you will get acquainted with the basic gameplay mechanics. Remember, though, that you won't start off as the best player. You have to learn the controls and get used to the gameplay.
You can repeat the tutorial at any time. If you want to find out how to do it, check out Tutorial - how to do it? page.
Modifications in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 allow you to customize several options to make the game easier for you. You can change:
- Perfect rail balance - allows for a perfect grinding, without paying attention to the skater's stability;
- Perfect manual balance - allows for perfect riding on the front wheels without controlling the stability;
- Perfect lip balance - allows you to ride perfectly without paying attention to the stability of your movements;
- Always special - you can perform special moves at any time;
- No bails - allows you to perform tricks without failing.
Modifications block some of the challenges, but if you just want to play, this will be the perfect option for you.
One of the most important mechanics available in the game is combos, a combination of tricks. This way you can achieve great scores.
Manuals are a little trick you can perform to prolong your combo. It's perfect when you land, e.g. after jumping off the edge.
Try to slide over the railing and then press down, up or up, down. This way you will land on the front or rear wheels.
Remember, you have to keep your balance so you don't break the trick.
A combo is about combining multiple tricks without interrupting. All you have to do is learn the perfect combination of buttons so that your character can keep the balance.
First, try doing different tricks on the railings. Just jump up and press different buttons. That way you will score a lot of points. In addition, you can jump off, do some tricks in the air, and land. That way you will score a lot of points.
Focus on easier challenges
There are several challenges on each map. You have to complete them to get to the next map. The challenges are often similar, so you will know what to expect.
Focus on the easiest activities first:
- Ignore the challenges focusing on high scores - you will come back to them later. You can also use modifications to make it easier for you to complete levels;
- Ignore challenges focusing on high combos - do the same as with the high score ones. High combos are designed for advanced players;
- Collect the S-K-A-T-E - this is a rather frequent challenge and one of the easier ones. All you have to do is collect five letters spread across the level. You should try to complete this challenge;
- Gap challenges - they usually involve performing a given trick in a specific location. This is one of the easier challenges. All you have to do is check the buttons combination and perform the trick;
- Secret tapes - another relatively easy challenge. All you have to do is find the secret and ride straight into it to score points;
- Chests/bells/newspapers - the secrets available on the maps are fairly easy to find. All you have to do is learn where they are and then ride into them to complete the challenge.
Go back to previous maps
Once you feel that you understand the game mechanics, controls, and combos, go back to the previous levels. In the later stages of the game, you will be forced to perform more and more challenges. Therefore, you need to go back to the first levels and do everything you can there. That way it will be much easier for you to gain access to the next parts of the game.
Don't be afraid to repeat the levels
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 is a game that bases all of its mechanics on level repetition. You have to learn the map carefully, and that takes a lot of tries. Don't expect that you will be the best right away. If you fail on the first couple of approaches, keep trying until you succeed. That way you will ultimately get the best results.
Check out the controls
The controls are the most important thing in the game. You have to make them feel natural to you to be able to get the highest scores.
Don't give up
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 is a game that requires hours of practice, sweat, and tears. You have to get used to the controls, understand the movements of the character and, above all, avoid making basic mistakes:
- Landing backward - after a few falls you realize it's physically impossible;
- Landing sideways landing - after a few falls, you will realize that it would be difficult to stay on the board in this way;
- Doing tricks inches above the ground - you want to do too much and too fast. Remember that your character has to gain momentum to jump high;
- Not combining tricks - are you surprised you have poor results? Focus on these elements that you can combine. Suddenly, your options will increase significantly.