Despite the fact that Tom Clancy's The Division 2 does not give access to typical character classes, it gives something in exchange - Specializations. Specializations allow for additional personalization of the controlled character with the help of unique weapons and abilities. From this chapter you will learn how to unlock specializations and what the available types are.
Specializations, as one can imagine, are not available from the very beginning of the game - they are reserved for the most persistent players who spent several dozen hours with The Division 2. To unlock specializations, two conditions must be met:
- You need to advance to level 30. This can be done by completing main and side missions, as well as taking part in additional activities on the map, such as Bounties or Control Zones.
- Complete the campaign. All of the main missions must be completed, together with the three available Strongholds.
Once those two conditions are met, the Quartermaster in the Base of Operations will have a new, side mission or the player. You just need to go to him and interact with the specialization table located to the right of the NPC. This will unlock specializations, presenting you basic information on each one of them.
There are 3 specializations available in the game at the moment. Those are:
- Survivalist - the Survivalist is equipped with a crossbow firing explosive bolts and can use incendiary grenades. He also has access to a unique type of Seeker Mine that will follow the player or his/her allies and restore their armor. The passive abilities of the Survivalist make this specialization perfectly suited for crowd control and allow it to deal additional damage with either Assault Rifles or Shotguns. This is a good specialization for the support build of the character.
- Demolitionist - the Demolitionist, on the other hand, is equipped with a powerful grenade launcher, capable of dealing damage to multiple enemies at once. Additionally, it has access to fragmentation grenades that cause bleeding, a unique type of Turret that turns it into a mortar and its passive abilities increase damage dealt by explosions, as well as the effectiveness of LMGs and SMGs. This is a good specialization for solo and DPS build.
- Sharpshooter - the Sharpshooter is equipped with a powerful sniper rifle, capable of taking down most enemies with a single bullet and whose bullets penetrate the target, allowing the player to hit multiple enemies in a straight line. The Sharpshooter can also use flash grenades that can blind the enemies, as well as the unique upgrade of the Drone that allows it to mark enemies like the Pulse ability. The passive abilities of the Sharpshooter focus on increasing damage dealt from longer distances and the effectiveness of Rifles and Marksman Rifles. This is a perfect choice for a DPS-oriented build.
More specializations are said to appear with the development of the game.
Apart from unlocking specializations, its development is also available and players can invest points into almost 20 unique abilities of each class. The development is done by investing special points that are gained by completing main missions and by advancing the character to higher levels - you will gain 5 points for the former and 3 for the latter. What is more, points are gained for each specialization separately, when a given specialization is active. It is also worth mentioning that the points invested into development can be regained at any time and re-distributed.