Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint allows you to modify weapons your character uses in a quite advanced way. You can install a different optical sight, magazine or finally improve the weapon itself by raising its general parameters. In this chapter you will learn how to modify and improve your equipment and find tips on using these mechanics to get the best possible result.
Most weapons available in the game can be modified. This way you will be able to replace their optical sight, gun rails, barrel and magazine. Each of these changes allows you to change the parameters of specific weapon - increase its fire rate speed, magazine capacity, amount of inflicted damage or reduce the rejection during shooting.
Modification can be done from the character's inventory level. Simply select the weapon you are interested in and press the button displayed on the screen to open the Gunsmith window. Here you can choose from a variety of improvements (to which we will return in a moment) and options to replace the magazine, optical scope, gun-rail and barrels. Select any item of interest like the optical scope - to open a list of usable modifications, if you have been able to unlock and retrieve the part. Most of the elements will influence the weapon's parameters, and the optical sight has an impact on how you can aim with your weapon - whether with a normal laser sight or optical scope, which can allow you to efficiently eliminate enemies from long distances.
On the gunsmith's screen you will also find options for upgrading your weaponry - this is represented by 8 upgrades that can be unlocked. These give "only" specific reinforcements to weapon - they increase the amount of damage dealt, the capacity of the magazine or the weapon's accuracy. Once all 8 upgrades have been unlocked (and invested in your character's ability), your weapon will be able to get a higher level, giving you access to further upgrades.
Please note that you are not upgrading a specific weapon, but a whole group of items. So if you decide to upgrade your MP7 machine gun, for example, then all weapons in the game marked "MP7" will already have these upgrades. To improve weapons you need crafting materials which can be gathered during world exploration and by disassembling unwanted weapons. To disassemble a weapon or armor, simply select an unwanted item and press the button displayed on the screen to turn it into crafting materials after a few seconds.
Tips and advice
Finally, some advice on modifying and upgrading weapons, namely:
- Customize your weapon according to your own needs. If you need more ammo in the clip it is worth investing in this modification. If you prefer to use a laser sight instead of a typical scope, there's nothing to stop you from using one even on a sniper rifle.
- Additional elements for modifying weapons can be found during exploration and missions, and above all - by simply buying them in the shop.
- Once an item is unlocked, you can use it on several weapons at the same time - there is no limit here.
- It's worth improving the weapons you use regularly. 1 or 2 points of damage more may not seem like a lot of damage, but during a fierce firefight it may decide who will come out alive.
- If you don't need cash, disassemble all unnecessary items into basic components. This will make it easier for you to upgrade your weapons.