The Noxious Swamp is a mission that kind of turns the campaign of They Are Billions upside down. This is due to a new enemy, Venom - defeating this enemy requires a different approach. In this chapter, you will find a walkthrough and tips related to The Noxious Swamp mission.
How to unlock and goals
How to start: unlocked after completing The Lonely Forest mission
- Colony size: 1,800.
- Survive the attacks of all hordes.
- Destroy all infected.
- Destroy all Villages of Doom
- There are no infected near the main building - you can safely explore the surrounding areas. The first enemies appear only behind the narrow passage, south-east of the starting site.
- Start as always - place 3 Tents, then 2 Hunter Cottages. Once you get 300 gold, you can build a Sawmill - try to have it generate as much wood as possible. Spend the remaining wood on more Tents.
- Start expanding to the south-east. There, you will find stones (on which you can build a Quarry) and the above-mentioned narrow passage which must be blocked with a wall - this will prevent the infected from coming to your base. Now, you can expand to the west - you will find iron.
- After passing through the passage, you will encounter new enemies, Venom. These are the only enemy units that attack from a distance - they spit acid that damages up to a few units at the same time. Fortunately, acid flies very slowly meaning that it can be easily avoided, especially by mobile units, such as Ranger.
- Before you have ~10 Soldiers, the best method of dealing with Venoms is to use 1 Ranger to focus the enemies' attention and avoid their attacks. Use the rest of the units to deal with the enemy. As soon as you get the specified number of Soldiers, you can kill a Venom before it has the time to attack.
- Kill the remaining enemies and capture the nearby areas. Once you reach day 10, start building walls, preferably two-row - do that in the north, east and south. Place towers behind them. You should also focus on recruiting many Soldiers.
- The 15th day is very important - the first Infected Swarm will attack your colony. The first horde will consist of about 50 Venoms, so it is important to have enough Soldiers to stop enemies from breaking through the walls. Alternatively, you can use a Ranger to distract enemies from the fortifications.
- From now on, you must complete three goals - increasing the population and the army, expanding and building successive layers of fortifications and destroying all the Villages of Doom. The last Infected Swarm - consisting exclusively of Venoms - will happen on day 65, and the enemies will attack from all 4 directions.
Below you can find a few tips for The Noxious Swamp mission:
- There are two ways of dealing with Venoms. The first involves using a fast unit - such as a Ranger - to lure enemies and focus their attacks on it, while the rest of the units will deal with the enemy. The second is to use a large enough group of Soldiers that will destroy the enemies before they can attack you. Around 10 soldiers will allow you to fight up to 3 Venoms at the same time, and a group of 20-30 Soldiers will deal with any group of these units.
- All the Infected Swarms in this mission consist only of Venoms.
- Rangers aren't strong enough to deal with Venoms - they deal too little damage, and enemy attacks can kill them very quickly. The alternative here is to be on the move constantly and attack from time to time. However, this tactic is ineffective when you are attacked by multiple Venoms. During this mission, focus on recruiting Soldiers and Snipers.
- Do not leave unguarded fragments of walls. Venoms can very quickly break through unguarded fortifications. Try to place towers every few grids. Place units, Wasp turrets or Ballistae on them.