This page of The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt has key information about the merchants. We explain, e.g. what items you can buy from them, how to sell useless loot, and what to do when a specific merchant runs out of coins.
Merchants - Buying and selling goods
Merchants are an important part of the community in Witcher 3. Thanks to them you can not only get rid of useless items, but you can also buy various goods and use the services they offer. The majority of merchants can be found in villages, cities and inns. However, some merchants are travelers and you can meet them in random places while journeying through the game world. Usually they don't offer any unique items but they allow you to replenish basic supplies and remove the "junk" from your inventory without needing to return to a nearby village. New merchants can appear on the map thanks to securing some abandoned places (locations in which some monsters started to live) and by saving them from imprisonment in cages ("Persons in distress optional locations").
Merchants are divided into various types. Many of them offer various goods, but some of them are specialized in selling some specific items. For example, innkeepers offer mostly food, blacksmiths sell new weapons, armorers armor parts and herbalists alchemy ingredients. Very frequently they are also interested in buying only specific items. For example, the blacksmith might not want to buy herbals from Geralt.
- In addition to items in which a specific merchant specializes, look for some special items in his offer. Search especially for new gwent cards and maps that unlock treasure hunt quests.
- Merchants offer is partially random generated and can change from time to time. It is wise to come back to the same people and check whether they offer some new items since last visit.
Merchants don't have enough coins - how to solve this?
The fact that each merchant has a limited amount of gold is a large impediment. Basic merchants usually have from 100 to 200 crowns in their pockets, more wealthy ones usually twice or three times more. It means that you might have trouble with getting rid of all the useless items by selling them to a single person. Especially, if among those items you have some unique artifacts, like a high quality sword. You can deal with this trouble in three ways:
- Visiting various merchants - You can have few favorite shopkeepers but it is wise to learn about the location of as many merchants as possible and to "toggle" between them, always going to a different place and visiting different people. Additionally, remember that even after reaching Velen and Novigrad you can still return to White Orchard. In this "starting" location there are many good merchants.
- Waiting for the gold supplies at a specific merchant to replenish - You can use the meditation to "cheat the game" and speed up the process of replenishing the gold supplies. Usually it takes few in-game days so you must use meditation more than once to accomplish the goal.
- Ordering additional services at the merchants - If a merchant offers services other than selling items you can use them and by doing so increase the amount of gold he will have to buy stuff from Geralt. Those services are, for example, repairing items or creating new crafting items.