This is the "Character Development" screen. On the ring closest to the character are the most basic skills. On every further ring there are more and more advanced techniques. Skills on the neighboring rings linked with a golden thread are techniques of the same type but differ from each other with a level, which means "more powerful", "grater distance", "grater efficient" and so on.
The gold ball and the multiplier in the upper right corner show how many skills we can and must (if we want to start the next level we have to use all the balls) activate.
After choosing an ability such a window comes up.
On the top is the name of a skill.
A little bit lower we can see how to use this ability.
Eventually "Tip" - shows tips about using that skill.
Option "View this upgrade" lets us see the skill in "action".
Option "Acquire this upgrade" lets us activate the skill.
Each skill is marked with such images:
A self learn Skill
It means that Neo learns it after reaching certain point in the game.
On the left side: an unknown skill,
On the right side: a skill already known.
This image shows a "you-decide" skill, which mean you decide what skill to learn next.
We can activate those by using the golden balls, but we can activate only the ones marked with a white edge.
On the left side: an unknown skill, but ready to be learned,
On the right side: a skill already known.
This element represents the "Atman Principles".
On the left side: an unknown principle, but ready to be learned,
On the right side: a principle already known.
Atman Principles - skills on the last ring. Those are short verses, they don't tell us what effect this ability exactly has. Every single one has a special effect like temporarily grow of power or healing others. Those abilities are activated only during one level. Next they are disabled and we have to reactivate them. The exception is the "Spoon" principle which once activated stays activated till the end.
First chance to activate a principle we get before the "Stuck in the loop" mission. We activate those rarely. It is better to learn a new technique. We activate those skills if we don't have any other choice.
Here is the list of all principles (mentioned according to their position on the ring - they never change their places):
- 11 o'clock position - "Heal Others" - lets us heal our comrades during the mission,
- 10 o'clock position - "Jackpot" - temporarily boosts all statistics (strength, health, focus and so on).
- 8 o'clock position - "Spoon" - it is a bonus level. We load it through menu "Level select",
- 5 o'clock position - "Reflect Bullets" - bullets are reflected directly at enemies that have fired them upon us without using ability "Bullet Stop"
- 4 o'clock position - "Revive" - when we get killed Neo is automatically revived to full health and focus.
From time to time we see such a screen - it means that our focus meter has grown. It also often means that Neo has learned a new ability.
Self learn skills:
- Focus - "Kung Fu Training",
- 4-Hit Combo - "Sword Training",
- Killing Blow - "Winter Training",
- Off Wall Strike lv1 - "Dojo Training",
- Off Wall Super lv1 - "Dojo Training",
- 5-Hit Combo - "Deja vu: It's a Trap",
- Weapon Strip lv1 - "Deja vu: It's a Trap",
- Focus Aerial Throw lv1 - "Storming the Drain",
- Bullet Dodge - "Rooftop Assault",
- Double Jump - "Rooftop Assault",
- Aerial Killing Blow lv1 - "Subway showdown",
- Bullet Stop - "He is the One",
- Antigravity Jump - "Red Pill Rescue",
- 6-Hit Combo - "Red Pill Rescue",
- Code Vision - "Captains Meeting",
- Mega Punch - "Aerial Battle".
"You-decide" skills (you choose one before every level - the order can be different, it depends on you, but this one is preferred):
- Weapon Strip lv2 - "Storming the Drain",
- Off Wall Strike lv2 - "Lobby Shooting Sphere",
- Tornado Throw - "Rooftop Assault",
- Aerial Strike lv2 - "Stuck in the loop",
- Off Wall Super lv2 - "The Chase: I Need an Exit",
- Focus Aerial Throw lv2 - in between missions "Red Pill Rescue",
- Killing Blow lv2 - in between missions "Red Pill Rescue",
- 360° Clean Out - in between missions "Red Pill Rescue",
- Weapon Strip lv3 - in between missions "Captains Rescue",
- Killing Blow lv2 - in between missions "Captains Rescue",
- Aerial Killing Blow lv2 - "Seraph's Apology",
- Aerial Killing Blow lv3 - "The Burly Braw",
- Focus Aerial Throw lv3 - "The Frenchman".