You see the members of the family that you created here. You can improve their abilities, choose weapons and send them to a given location to take it over, blow it up or defend from an attack.
In the beginning you are all alone, but you recruit more soldiers with time. Being the Don, you are the strongest. Your men have special abilities. When one of you soldiers has a speciality, you can promote him to a capo and choose a 2nd speciality for him. Capos also are more resistant. After that you can promote one of them another time and he becomes the underboss, letting you choose a 3rd speciality.
There are several specialities, which offer various possibilities:
- Engineer - he will cut fences in some places allowing you to get into inaccessible locations; near each Business there is a case - the engineer can cut the cables so that the attacked guards won't call for backup;
- Bruiser - he breaks down some close doors and destroys phones so that the attacked guards can't call for help;
- Safecracker -a very important speciality, he will open every safe and some doors (locked with a lock)
- Medic - he can revive you men if they fall in battle; he's essential in the later part of the game;
- Arsonist -he sets fire in designed places, like containers with flammable substances or a bar;
- Demolitions - he can demolish broken walls; by placing explosives at a designed place, he can blow up a business or even a whole compound; he can also blow up a car.
Each time you can use a special ability, an icon representing it will appear. It means that a bruiser can't break each closed door, only those that have a yellow fist symbol on them. To use a given speciality, target the place (a car, fence, a door or a safe) and press "C". Formally you don't have any abilities, but you can reanimate a fallen mate.
Upgrades are also an important aspect. You can improve your own abilities, as well as the abilities of your family members. By doing so, you can get out of the prison quicker in case of getting caught, get the special actions done faster and inflict more damage. Improve your men and they will be more helpful. Don't forget about upgrading yourself (in fact it should be your priority).
Your family consists of several men, but only three at a time can work as a crew. Of course you work with normal soldiers at the beginning, later on try to work with the best (in the end with the underboss and two capos). When you will have more family members, use them to defend your businesses - send them there in case of an attack.
At the same time you can see the members of other families, get to know it they're alive or not and if they're hospitalized.