This chapter of The Last of Us 2 guide is a part of the bestiary. On this page, you'll find important information about "standard" infected. We explain what are the varieties of the weakest monsters in TLoU 2 and suggest ways of dealing with them.
The "standard" versions of infected are the most often encountered monsters during the game.
The infected can move slowly or are Runners. This second variation of infected is able to move much faster both after reacting to ambient sounds and after noticing a controlled character.
You can get rid of ordinary infected in all sorts of ways.:
- Sneak up on them from behind and execute them quietly. When approaching the monster, avoid staying in the open so as not to be noticed by other infected. The interesting thing is, you don't have to turn your flashlight off because monsters don't react to it.
- Using firearms. If you don't want to alert the neighborhood, use a silencer.
- Using a bow or crossbow. Perfect for silent kills.
- Using Molotov cocktails and bombs. Use them when there is a group of infected close to each other. There's a good chance that all monsters will be set on fire or die in the explosion. In the case of trap mines, rely on throwing objects to make the monsters approach the trap and detonate it.
- Using hand-to-hand combat. Perform a successful dodge (L1) then return with 3-4 attacks (Square) with a melee weapon, Ellie's switchblade, or Abby's fists. After a series of attacks repeat the entire sequence, so be ready again to dodge and return with a counter-attack.