In The Last of Us 2, the crossbow is a very useful weapon, allowing you to fire silent and very accurate shots that will dispose of the enemy instantly. This page contains information where and how to get the crossbow in TLoU2. Moreover, you'll learn how to use the crossbow, retrieve bolts, and upgrade the weapon.
Obtaining a crossbow in The Last Of Us Part 2
The crossbow is a weapon only available for Abby, whom you take control of further into the campaign. This means that you cannot obtain the crossbow while playing as Ellie.
Abby finds the crossbow in the course of Coast. It is one of the levels found in Seattle, Day 1 chapter, and during its course you play as Abby. During Coast, Abby reaches a shipwreck and begins to explore it.
The Crossbow can be found next to the human remains found on the ship. Abby will automatically pick the weapon up, so skipping the event is impossible.
Using the crossbow
The crossbow is, in our opinion, a much better weapon than the bow. Its main advantages are:
- You don't have to make big adjustments when aiming, of course, except in situations where you're aiming for very distant targets.
- You don't have to draw the chord before firing a shot. You can release the bolt as soon as you have aimed at your target.
- There is a better chance of getting the bolt back, even if it hit the opponent directly. Make a habit of checking the corpses of all those killed with a crossbow.
- The crossbow is a silent weapon. No one can hear the fired shot.
The biggest disadvantage of the crossbow is the long reloading time, i.e. the placement of a new bolt in the mechanism. Try not to miss and in case of detection, switch to other weapons.
Same as with the bow, crossbow bolts can be found around the levels. Try to maintain a full supply at all times.
Upgrading the crossbow
There are three crossbow upgrades available:
- Stability - 50 scrap - increases the stability of the weapon and therefore makes it easier to fire accurate shots.
- 4x Scope - 60 scrap - allows you to install a 4x scope, which is activated by pressing X. In our opinion, this is the best available upgrade, which should be bought as soon as possible. The 4x scope makes it easier to kill distant enemies, for example by aiming at their heads.
- Reload Speed - 80 scrap - also an important upgrade, which lowers the reload time of the crossbow by half. Especially useful when you plan to use the crossbow during all-out battles.