The main character of The Hong Kong Massacre can use four types of firearms. On this page, you can learn how to unlock new weapons (you start only with a pistol) and which weapon upgrades you should get first.
Weapons in The Hong Kong Massacre
The screen where you choose weapons appears before every level. The only default weapon is a weak pistol - you will have a harder time eliminating enemies with it. Ideally, you should use a pistol only in the first mission - Got Myself a Gun.
The other three weapons can be bought with stars. You get them by beating missions (1 completed level = 1 star) and by completing challenges (1 challenge = 1 star; every level has 3 challenges).
- Unlock a rifle as fast as you can. You can get it by spending only 1 star. This weapon has two advantages - it has more ammo in a magazine and it can fire constantly.
- A shotgun and an SMG both have a lower priority. However, neither of these weapons is "expensive". They cost 2 stars each. A shotgun can be useful in Perfect Aim challenges (you need to hit only enemies) - this weapon doesn't require precise aiming.
Upgrading weapons - which upgrades you should get first?
Each weapon has 4 upgrades - they cost 2, 5, 8 and 10 stars. Below you can find upgrades that, in our opinion, you should get first. Try to get as many stars as possible in the missions from the first chapter (Four Days Earlier). They are the easiest ones - thanks to that, you will be able to use upgraded weapons in the next, more challenging, chapters.
- 10 Clip Size - Rifle, 5 stars - Due to the ability to shoot constantly, which depletes the rifle's ammo really fast, increased clip size (50 bullets) is very useful.
- Extra Clip - Rifle, 10 stars - An expensive upgrade but this extra clip will allow you to keep fighting without the need to loot enemies carrying the same weapon. Remember, reloading isn't instantaneous. Don't leave your cover until you are ready to shoot again.
- Movement Speed - Rifle, 8 stars - Another pricey upgrade but this one is helpful in avoiding enemy fire and in moving around a level.
- Fire Rate - Rifle, 2 stars - Get this upgrade after you purchase modifications that allow you to carry more ammo.
- 3 Clip Size - Shotgun, 5 stars - By default, you can carry only 5 shotgun shells. This means that this is the most important upgrade for the shotgun. More ammo will be useful in Perfect Aim challenges.
Once you get all the recommended upgrades from our list, you can purchase those that are suitable for your playstyle. We recommend getting Movement Speed upgrades for the other three weapons (shotgun, SMG, pistol) - you will be able to move faster regardless of currently used weapon. You should also check out upgrades that increase ammo. Thanks to them, you won't have to waste time searching corpses.
Upgrades are also for weapons you get from defeated enemies. If, for example, you purchased a clip size upgrade, it will be applied to the weapon you have picked up from the ground.