This guide to The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep is a complete solution with many guidelines that will help you pass through the next bard's story. The entire guide is divided into two parts. The first one is a guide to The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep. Here you will find tips about the most important elements of the game, such as character creation and development, skills available for each character class (archetype), exploration and item crafting. In this section of our guide you will also find a FAQ section. In it you will find answers to questions that may arise during the game. Also, we've attached an annex where you will find information about system and control requirements.
In the second part of the guide you will find a walkthrough for all of the main and side quests, divided into locations in which they take place. Thanks to those pages you will easily find all of the hidden chests and defeat all of the enemies you stumble upon. You will quickly acquire basic knowledge about the game, but also get through more difficult moments of the story.
The Bard's Tale IV is the fourth installment of the dungeon-crawler series. InXile Entertainment studio is responsible for the game's production. In this part we will once again visit the world known from the previous parts of this fantasy universe. This time the adventure will focus on the city of Skara Brae. It's from there that you'll set off to explore further dungeons. Of course you won't be alone. You will be accompanied by a team of fantasy heroes that you may recruit during the game.
Starting a new adventure is not always easy. Occasionally, problems can occur even from the very beginning. Here are some tips to help you before you begin your adventure in Bard's Tale IV.
- Don't save game too often - you can't save the game at any time. You need to use special lanterns. During a one-time stay, you can use each lantern only once. Therefore, save the game only in moments when you are absolutely sure that the nearest combat may cause serious problems.
- Collect all loot and items - at the beginning, when you suffer from a shortage of raw materials and your weaponry is not impressive, every item found can be worthy of gold. All items that you don't use can always be sold.
- Check for level ups of your characters - character advancement is shown very poorly. It's actually just a message in the top left corner of the screen, which informs about skill points that you can use. Promotion gives you access to further abilities that you can use in combat, so the sooner you spend your ability points the better.
- Test and check the strength of your enemies - every potential opponent is marked with the appropriate color. It describes your chances of success in battle. Green means an opponent who is very easy to defeat, while red means almost certain death. Therefore, before each potential fight, check who you are actually planning to attack.
- Heal your team on a regular basis - the team won't heal automatically. This means that after each fight your HP are not regenerated. You must heal your team by yourself. You can do this by saving the game or eating different kinds of food.
- Don't wait unit your enemy sees you - a surprise attack is extremely useful, because it allows to avoid additional damage from the enemy. This happens because enemies prepare battle formation in their first turns.
Here you will find information about the basic game mechanics. You will find out, among other things, how specific in-game systems work like combat or dialogue. The most important pages in this section include:
- User Interface - in this chapter you will learn what functions are performed by the different elements of the interface.
- Combat - during the exploration of subsequent locations you will encounter various enemies. This chapter explains how to master the basics of the combat to be able to defeat them.
- Exploration - the world of the game hides many secrets that can be discovered. Here you will find tips on how to do it efficiently.
This chapter is devoted to one of the most important aspects of the game, which is your character. The character you have created is the only member of the team that you cannot exchange. That's why it's worth rethinking your decision. This includes the following pages:
- Character creation - here you will find a description of all required steps to create your own character. Also, find out about highlighted choices you need to make on your character creation path.
- Leveling-up characters - your character is constantly developing. This chapter explains how the level-up system works in the game.
It is often the case that during a game there are specific questions about a particular issue. In this chapter you will find answers to questions that may arise during the game.
- How to earn money quickly? - Purchasing new equipment requires subsequent amount of money. This chapter explains how to quickly amass the required funds.
- Which recipes are the most useful? - In this chapter you will find a list of recipes that are mandatory during the exploration of the world.
In this walkthrough we have described all quests of the main plot as well as side quests and additional tasks. You will also find information about various secrets hidden in the game world.
Main Quest Missions:
- Hard Times in Skara Brae
- A Home in the dark
- Bad Reputation
- The Doppelganger
- Elven Wiles
- Low Friends in Low Places
- Hidden Hand and The Best of Us
- Keeper of the old ways
- Into the Wood...
- The Sacred Grove
- Mangar's Bones
- The Secret of Cialhmar
- Bones in the Fog
- The Ominous Isle
- The Lost Rookery
- Blood of Kings
- Death to the Mad God
- The Blessed Lady
Agnieszka Adamus (www.gamepressure.com)
About The Bard's Tale 4 Game Guide
Author : Agnieszka "aadamus" Adamus for gamepressure.com
Translator : Mateusz "Magpull" Pytlik
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Video Game
- genre: RPG
- developer: inXile entertainment
- publisher: inXile entertainment
- platform: PC, PS4, XONE
The Bard's Tale IV Barrows Deep for PC is the fourth major installment of the famous dungeon crawlers series that began with the release of The Bardís Tale in 1985. The title was developed by inXile entertainment, the creators of Torment: Tides of Numenera, Hunted: The Demonís Forge, and Wasteland 2. The Bardís Tale IV goes back to the roots of the series which date back to the mid-80s. The project, which came to existence thanks to the fundraiser at Kickstarter, was overseen by Brian Fargo. The developer started his career at Interplay and worked on such titles as The Bardís Tale, Neuromancer, Dragon Wars, Fallout, Fallout 2, Stonekeep, Baldurís Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.
In The Bardís Tale IV, the players are taken to the original fantasy world, which is clearly inspired by Scottish and Celtic culture and mythology, known from the previous installments of the series. We start the adventure in the vast city of Skara Brae and thence set out to numerous and dangerous ruins and dungeons. The players create their own party of adventurers, choosing from many available racesósuch as elves, humans, or half-orcsóand classes. The composition of our company is not meaningless and influences NPCís attitude as well as the quest and dialogue line availability. The list of plot surprises goes on, though. Many decisions we will make in the course of the game may significantly change the image of the world and Skara Brae.
The Bardís Tale IV for PC is powered by Unreal Engine 4 which gave the developers significantly bigger technical possibilities than when they worked on their previous games. Whatís interesting, the photogrammetry technique, which allows to scan real object and turn them into photorealistic 3D models, was used to design levels and scenography elements.
More About The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep
So far, we haven't seen any actual combat from The Bard's Tale IV. Until now, as inXile Entertainment has just published this new gameplay video.
In case you're wondering how is The Bard's Tale IV doing, inXile Entertainment has shared a new game trailer, which shows off its fantasy world and some unique creatures.
A video was published online showing off the capabilities of the engine utilized in The Bardís Tale IV, the sequel to the legendary cRPG parody series for which a Kickstarter campaign was launched several days ago.