The option to import choices and progress from the first two games is very important. Thanks to it you can keep the continuity of your adventure. Below, you can find a detailed description of how to do that. We have also posted information on what you can do if you don't have any saves.
The option to import saves becomes available when you start a new campaign in The Banner Saga 3. The game will show you the screen presented in the picture above. The button displayed in the upper part of the screen allows you to import saves. The game should automatically search for saves from the previous games. If the game didn't detect any then you should check if you still have them on your hard drive. The default save location for the PC version is:
We highly recommend playing The Banner Saga and The Banner Saga 2 before starting your adventure with The Banner Saga 3. The main reason for that is to keep all the important choices and have their consequences in the newest campaign.
If for some reason you can't import your saves then you can decide to make a "clean" save. The major difference is that the game will allow you to make only one choice regarding the caravan's leader:
- Choosing Rook means that Alette has died at the end of The Banner Saga 1.
- Choosing Alette means that Rook has died at the end of The Banner Saga 1.
All other decisions predetermined. This regards:
- Other decisions that you could make during the previous games.
- Availability of the heroes (some of them could be dead or they might have not be recruited by you) and their abilities (on a new save the majority of them start at level 8-10, they have certain stats and skills unlocked).
- Numbers and types of characters (clansmen, warriors, varl) who are part of your caravan.
- Availability of the artifacts (some of them might have not been found or bought).
Sadly, the game won't allow you to set yourself nor check them out. You must take into account the fact that the effects of your decisions will be known to you during your playthrough. Another thing that you have to do is to accept some of them, even if you have played the previous games and you acted differently.